12 November 2022

Laß irdische Geschäfte stehen

 Here is my translation of the Communion hymn, “Laßt irdische Geschäfte stehen” (Erdmann Neumeister, d. 1756), in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #309 a cento of 8 stanzas, and the three omitted stanzas (8–9) drawn from the author’s original Der Zugang zum Gnaden-Stuhl Jesu Christo (1710), where it is titled “Comfort-Hymn on the Holy Supper.” Fischer overlooks the hymn both in the lexicon entries and in the titles listed under Erdmann Neumeister. Original wording is noted in square brackets; among which alterations found in the Wisc. Hymnal, most notable is in st. 7, where Christ’s simple presence is exchanged for receptionist language in the later revision. The appointed melody is “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.”



OF earthly matters all unheeding,
Arise, O soul, and ready thee!
Ere at God’s table thou art feeding,
Discern what thy own state may be
And whether as a proper guest
For Jesus’ banquet thou art dressed.

2 But when I look, I fain would hide me,
And fear to feel the judgment rod;
I meet a million sins inside me
Which I have wrought against my God,
And think: “No putrid sinner may
Come to the table Thou dost lay!”

3 How shall I ask for God’s forbearing,
Who as a sinner stand condemned?
But nay, I need not be despairing:
God lays the table to this end,
That He may make the sinner whole
And comfort give the needy soul.

4 In God my heart is happy, knowing
He blots out my iniquity;
I wash in Jesus blood, that, flowing,
Atonement made for sinful me;
By faith His robe of righteousness
And of salvation I possess.

5 I’ll wear this garment as my glory,
A child of God and chosen heir,
Included in salvation’s story,
With heaven’s guests I have a share;
Since Jesus Christ I have put on,
God looks at me as at His Son.

6 Ah, how this Food with quick’ning thrills me,
Whereof my soul doth here partake!
In wondrous wise my Jesus fills me,
Himself the precious Food doth make—
Behold, how Jesus loveth thee,
Who gives Himself, thine own to be.

7 To all but bread and wine I’m blind here,
Yet faith discerns a higher good:
In, with, and under either kind here
Is Christ’s true body and His blood;
So saith the Savior true and tried,
Here then my faith doth firm abide.

[8 I stand unfearing and undoubting
That I the grace of God possess;
Come, hell! Come, every devil shouting,
Though much upon my debts ye press!
I now am righteous, pure, and free,
No condemnation here can be.

8 Thus I of Jesus have partaken,
Thus I am Jesus’ house divine,
Thus I with Jesus sleep and waken,
Thus I am His and He is mine;
Thus He conducts me on life’s way,
Thus I begin new life today.

9 Since Jesus hath to me elected
His life-infusing flesh to give,
My members likewise resurrected
From mold’ring grave again shall live.
This is my hope, the end of faith,
My confidence in life and death.]

10 My Jesus died for my transgression,
My Jesus also lives for me,
My Jesus won for me salvation,
On this I stand unwav’ringly,
And cling alone to Christ the Lamb:
My Friend is mine, and His I am.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Laß irdische Geschäfte stehen,
auf! Seele, mache dich bereit!
Du willst zu Gottes Tische gehen; [Ich will…]
doch, prüfe deine Würdigkeit,
ob du dich als ein rechter Gast
zum Abendmahl geschicket hast?

2 Es will mir fast der Muth verschwinden,
ob ich dabei erscheinen kann;
ich finde viele tausend Sünden, […Millionen Sünden]
ach, die ich wider Gott gethan!
Ich darf zu dieser Tafel nicht, [kein Sünder darf zur…]
nicht unrein vor sein Angesicht. [er stinkt vor Gottes…]

3 Daß Gott erbarm, was soll ich sagen?
Ich Sünder muß verloren sein!
Doch nein, ich darf noch nicht verzagen:
Gott setzt den Tisch deswegen ein,
das er den Sündern Trost und Kraft
für ihre armen Seelen schafft.

4 Wie wohl ist mir in Gott zu Muthe!
Gott tilget meine Missethat;
ich wasche mich in Jesu Blute,
der meine Sünde gebüßet hat: […Schuld gebüßet hat]
mein Glaub erlangt von ihm das Kleid [mein Glaube kriegt…]
des Heils und der Gerechtigkeit.

5 In diesem Schmucke will ich gehen
als Gottes auserwähltes Kind
und selig an dem Orte stehen,
wo andre Himmelsgäste sind;
weil ich mit Jesu angethan,
sieht Gott in ihm mich gnädig an. […mich selbst als Jesum an.]

6 Ach wie erquicket mich die Speise,
die meine Seele hier genießt,
da Jesus wunderbarer Weise
die theure Speise selber ist!
Ach siehe, wie dich Jesus liebt,
der dir sich selbst zu eigen giebt!

7 Ich kann nur Brod und Wein erblicken,
doch sieht der Glaub ein höher Gut:
in, mit und unter beiden Stücken
empfang ich Christi Leib und Blut; [ist Christi wahrer…]
er sagt es selbst, er ist getreu,
drum bleibt mein Glaube fest dabei

[8 So hab ich Jesum selbst genossen,
so kann ich Jesu Tempel sein;
so hab ich Jesum eingeschlossen,
so bin ich sein, so ist er mein;
so führt er mich die Lebens-Bahn,
so fang ich neu zu leben an.

9 Ich habe weder Furcht noch Zweifel.
Die Gnade Gottes ist mit mir.
Komm, Hölle! komm, kommt, alle Teufel!
Trotz! werft mir meine Sünden für,
ich bin gerecht, ich bin nun rein,
an mir kann nichts Verdammlichs sein.

10 Weil Jesus mir sein Fleisch gegeben,
das alles Lebens Usrprung ist,
so muß mein Fleisch auch wieder leben,
ob solches die Verwesung frißt.
Das ist mein Trost und Glaubensziel,
drauf leb und sterb ich, wenn Gott will.]

11 Mein Jesus ist für mich gestorben,
mein Jesus lebet auch für mich,
mein Jesus hat mir Heil erworben,
darauf besteh ich festiglich
und halte mich an ihn allein:
mein Freund ist mein, und ich ben sein.




No comments: