10 November 2022

Herr, du hast für alle Sünder

Here is my translation of the Communion hymn “Herr, du hast für alle Sünder” (Caspar Neumann, d. 1715), found in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #307. Fischer says: “First in an edition of the Silesian Kirchengesangbuch edited by the author . . .  Stier . . . calls it “a beautiful Communion hymn”; J. P. Lange, conversely, . . . dislikes how “the thoughts of the hymn appear to depend somewhat on the rhyme.” Notably, Fischer is unsure of the first appearance. I find an earlier publication of the text in Vollständige Kirchen- und Haus-Music (Breslau, 1699), p. 451. While this claims to be largely a reprint of an earlier book from 1611, Neumann’s hymn must be regarded as a new addition. The appointed melody is “Freu dich sehr, o meine Seele.”




LORD, Thou hast a table holy
For all sinners richly graced,
Where the bread of children lowly
Of the Father’s love doth taste.
Here today I am Thy guest,
Present at Thy kind behest;
Grant me also to come rightly,
Nor to treat Thy kindness lightly.

2 Purge, I pray, from mind and spirit
All offensive filth away,
That my heart may by Thy merit
Be Thy hallowed house today,
For I only hope in Thee,
Dearest Jesus! Love Thou me;
Let on earth Thy table festal
Hint at paradise celestial.

3 If the Lord can give the servant
His own body and His blood,
Help me trace with spirit fervent
Here Thy love’s unfathomed good.
Neither let me, for Thy sake,
To my judgment here partake
Of what Thou to me hast given
For redemption, life, and heaven.

4 Captive therefore take my reason,
In true faith my thinking seal,
Curb the flesh, so prone to treason,
Grant it not to blunt my zeal.
Rouse my longing to be fed
In my mis’ry, with the bread
That the spirit’s hunger stilleth
And with God my being filleth.

5 Prince of Life, consider mainly
“Jesus” is Thy name of pride;
And consider, ’twas not vainly
That Thou for the world hast died,
Hear, then, what I ask of Thee,
Share Thy very self with me,
Give this day Thy lifeblood spilling
From Thy wounds, my conscience filling.

6 Lord, of Thee is our begetting,
On Thy strength let us be fed;
There is only futile fretting
Save where Jesus giveth aid.
Oh, then bread and wine impart
As the Manna of my heart,
That the working of this dinner
May be mighty in this sinner!

7 Give me of Thy love to savor,
And to taste the goods of heav’n
Or, should fear assail me ever,
Or to anguish I be driv’n,
Grant Thy blood may furnish me
With bold faith and constancy,
Letting naught in all creation
Rob me of my consolation.

8 Help me on Thy bitter Passion
E’er to gaze with faithful eyes,
Let me live in Christian fashion
Nor my fellow guest despise,
Oh, possess me perfectly
Till I shall be all in Thee,
And in Thee, my All, possessing
Fullness of Thy gifts and blessing!

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Herr, du hast für alle Sünder
einen reichen Tisch gedeckt,
wo das Brod der armen Kinder
nach des Vaters Liebe schmeckt.
Heute nun bin ich dein Gast,
wie du mir befahlen hast;
aber hilf auch, daß mein Herze
nicht mit deiner Wohlthat scherze.

2 Räume, bitt ich, mein Gemüthe
rein von allen Argen aus,
daß auch meines Herzens Hütte
werde dein geweihtes Haus,
Denn ich hoffe nur auf dich,
liebster Jesu, liebe mich
und laß deinen Tisch auf Erden
mir zum halben Himmel werden.

3 Kann der Herr dem Knechte schenken
auch sein eigen Fleisch und Blut:
ach, so hilf mir recht bedenken,
was hier deine Liebe thut;
und verleihe, daß ich nicht
eß und trinke zum Gericht,
was du, Jesu, für mein Leben
zur Erlösung hast gegeben.

4 Nimm jetzt die Vernunft gefangen,
daß ich glaube schlecht und recht,
und erwecke mein Verlangen,
wenn das Fleisch den Eifer schwächt,
bis ich fühle meine Noth
und mich sehne nach dem Brod,
weiches allen Hunger stillet,
und mein Herz mit Gott erfüllet.

5 Denke doch, du Fürst des Lebens,
denke, daß du Jesus heißt,
denke, daß du nicht vergebens
für die Welt gestorben sei'st;
drum erhöre, was ich bitt,
theile mir dich selber mit
und laß heut in mein Gewissen
Blut aus deinen Wunden fließen.

6 Sind wir doch aus dir geboren,
nähr uns auch durch deine Kraft;
und weil Alles da verloren,
wo nicht Jesus Hülfe schafft;
ach, so laß dein Brod und Wein
meines Herzens Manna sein,
daß die Wirkung dieser Speise
künftig in der That sich weise. [kräftig…]

7 Laß mich deine Liebe schmecken
und die Güter jener Welt;
oder wenn auch Furcht und Schrecken
mich zuweilen überfällt,
so verschaffe mir dein Blut
einen rechten Freudenmuth,
daß ich meinen Trost im Glauben
mir durch Niemand lasse rauben.

8 Hilf mir recht ins Herze fassen
deinen herben, bittern Tod;
laß mich auch Niemanden hassen,
der mit ir genießt dein Brod;
nimm mich ganz vollkommen ein,
bis ich werde bei dir sein
und die Fülle deiner Gaben,
meinen Gott und Alles, haben.



No comments: