24 November 2022

Zions Burg ist meine Freude

Here is my translation of the Sunday hymn, “Zions Burg ist meine Freude” (Gottfried Meißner, d. 1690), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #330. (Anna Hoppe’s translation for Northwestern Lutheran 1926 is included below.) Fischer omits it from the list of the Meißner’s works. The earliest instance available to the translator is Johann Crüger’s Praxis, 1708 ed., without ascription. “G. (or Georg, or Gottfried) Meißner” appears in slightly later books, e.g., Wagner’s Pomeranian hymnal of 1735, and Bollhagen’s Heiliges Lippen- und Herzens-Opffer (Stettin, 1789). More recently, in Kirchl. Zeitschr. 4 (1878), p. 174, it is designated for the congregational hymn upon entering the church at a Dedication of a new church. The appointed melody is “Zion klagt mit Angst und Schmerzen.”



ZION’S mountain is my pleasure,
My delight, God’s city fair,
Pasture fresh in ample measure,
Balm of souls beyond compare!
Here, therefore, I take my place,
To behold its beauteous grace,
And to praise my Rock and Tower
For His wonders, might, and power.

2 Now, my God, let supplication,
Teaching, hearing, hymnody—
Every sacred operation—
Solely for Thy glory be!
And, as in Thy house I go
Here on earth, this too bestow:
That I may go hence to glory,
And with joy abide before Thee.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.
 

HOPPE:

Zion’s Fortress is my Treasure, -
Glorious City of my God!
Here my soul finds endless pleasure,
Pastures green adorn its sod!
When I view its splendor bright,
And behold God’s power and might,
My heart thrills with pure elation
At the wonders of salvation.

Sweetest praises to Thee bringing,
Zion lauds Thee, O Most High!
Teaching, hearing, praying, singing
Thy blest Courts do sanctify.
To and from Thy House I go;
If such joy I here may know,
With what bliss shall I adore Thee
When in Heav’n I stand before Thee?


GERMAN

Zions Burg ist meine Freude,
mein Lust ist Gottes Stadt,
in derselben find ich Weide
und für meine Seele Rath;
drum erscheine ich allhier
anzuschauen seine Zier,
und zu preisen Gottes Werke,
seine Wunder, Macht und Stärke.

2 Nun, mein Gott! laß Beten, Singen,
Lehren, Hören und was mehr,
nur zu deinem Lob erklingen;
doch auch dieses mir gewähr,
daß, wie ich in deinem Haus
jetzo gehe ein und aus,
also ich auch dort mög gehen,
und mit Freuden vor dir stehen.

No comments: