08 November 2022

O Vaterherz, o Licht, o Leben

Here is my translation of the hymn “O Vaterherz, O Licht, O Leben” (Carl Heinrich von Bogatzky, d. 1774) on the surrender of the heart to God. In Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #294 it appears in a cento of eight stanzas, ommitting 5–7, and is located in the category “Holy Sacraments,” suggesting its use as a Confirmation hymn. Fischer notes that the hymn, which appears first in the Cöthen hymnal of 1736 (I take my stanzas 5-7 from the 1768 edition), later appears in his home devotional Tägliches Hausbuch (1748) with only the first three stanzas. It was written while Bogatzky was staying at the house of Count Erdmann Heinrich Henkel zu Pötzig after a 3-month cure in Karlsbad’s baths for physical and spiritual recuperation. He himself said about the hymn “I had a special refreshment in it. The close presence of my Savior was very close and comforting to me. I saw Him as my Adviser and Leader, and although subjects do not very often like when their supervisors are always around them, attending to their every action, it was on the contrary very welcome and comforting to me that my Savior should be always with me and looking at me, and I sincerely asked Him always to pay close attention to me and let me not take one step alone. And all that was in my heart I put into this hymn, which, as it was uplifting to me, also later served to awaken others. . .” The appointed melody is “Wie wohl ist mir, o Freund der Seelen.”



THOU Father’s Heart, Thou Light of heaven,
Life, Shepherd true, Immanuel!
Into Thy hands I have been given,
My soul doth in Thy shelter dwell;
I would no more be self-directed;
To fathers sons should be subjected;
So make Thy presence to me known,
In every step I take, precede me,
(Oh, as I pray, Lord Jesus, heed me!)
I would not take one step alone.

2 I’m but a feeble child and brittle,
Bereft of wisdom, strength, and speed;
Therefore in matters great or little,
Be Thou my wisdom and my deed.
Of me Thou wilt not be ashamèd,
By me Thou as my all art namèd,
And Thou Thyself my all wouldst be;
Thus to all things be Thou attending,
Be Thou beginning, middle, ending;
Then naught but blessings comes to me.

3 Thou, guiding, keepest me from sliding,
Thy Word no treach’rous way doth know;
Thou speakest, with Thy eye me guiding,
Thy face before me e’er shall go;
Thy mercy, pity, and great favor
Shall hold me and embrace me ever;
Oh, that I may but childlike be,
In all things trustingly implore Thee,
And at Thy signal ne’er ignore Thee,
Each day new faithfulness may see!

4 Oh, that I may a glimpse be granted
Of all Thy wisdom, truth, and grace,
That in the faith more firmly planted,
At peace, I may Thee love and praise;
Leave all to Thy wise will and pleasure,
To keep the order, goal and measure;
For if I lead I lose the sight.
With what will serve Thee best content me,
From selfish purposes prevent me;
Whatever Thou ordain’st is right!

[5 What meadow’s best alone Thou knowest,
Thou knowest what may hurt or kill,
So let Thy sheep go where Thou goest,
Avoiding what would nourish ill.
Oh, let me cease from Thee to wander,
Nor come to ruin here or yonder,
For poison often seems most fair!
Oh, keep my soul yet firm, unyielding,
And guard me, rod and crozier wielding,
And me in all temptation spare.

6 Lord, ever move me by Thy guiding,
To watch and wrestle, pray and sigh.
Thy Word let, in my heart abiding,
With Life and Spirit me supply;
Forever let Thy call implore me
To walk with fear and as before Thee,
And self-examine faithfully:
My inner life be Thou increasing,
That I may bear Thee fruit unceasing,
In nothing lax nor slothful be.

7 Oh, that I had not vainly wasted
My time and pow’r, and Thee ignored!
Oh, that I had to heaven hasted!
My Champion, gird Thou on Thy sword,
And break through every hindrance surely,
Yea, henceforth let me step securely
According as Thy Word directs,
In all my words and works oh, let me
Look only to Thy Spirit’s leading,
And not what my own will expects.]

8 Oh! make me faithful, firm, unstirring,
Enabled e’er to follow Thee.
Alone Thy will, Thy will unerring,
My bound’ry, course, and pathway be.
Let me no self-advantage ponder,
Yea, let me be of nothing fonder,
Than that Thy holy name be blest;
On earth be that my sole endeavor—
Oh! Let it be deflected never,
For I’m Thy property possessed.

9 Let me in Thee give honor duly
To Love, Thy Father throned in heav’n;
Let Thy good Spirit show me truly
How Thou by Him to me art giv’n.
Oh, let Thy love be manifested,
Work in me longing uncontested
To proffer Thee pure love in turn,
My heart and senses wholly winning,
That henceforth, all my own beginning
I in Thy love and praise discern.

10 I long to live for Thee, Lord, only,
My Master and my Bridegroom still,
Whate’er refuse to own Thee wholly,
Whate’er is counter to Thy will,
Rebuke it in my conscience quickly;
Let blood and water flood me thickly,
And all impurity remove,
Make my great wish Thy adoration,
And all Thy lowly flock’s salvation
In one pure Spirit, faith, and love.

11 Thus praising, loving, in the stillness,
I childlike rest upon Thy knee;
The Sheep are sated from Thy fullness,
The Bride from every care is free;
Her only care in life is wholly
To please Thyself, her Bridegroom, solely;
She decks herself and waits for Thee.
Far, far from hence, oh, draw me sweetly!
What Thou art not dissolve completely,
Pure Radiance of eternity!

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

O Vaterherz, o Licht, o Leben,
o treuer Hirt, Immanuel!
Dir bin ich einmal übergeben;
dir, dir gehöret meine Seel.
Ich will mich nicht mehr selber führen;
der Vater soll das Kind regieren;
so geh nun mit mir aus und ein,
und leite mich nach allen Tritten;
ich geh,(ach hör, o Herr, mein Bitten!)
für mich nicht einen Schritt allein.

2 Was kann dein schwaches Kind vollbringen?
Ich weiß mir gar in keinem Rath;
drum sei in groß und kleinen Dingen
mir immer selber Rath und That.
Du willst dich meiner gar nicht schämen:
ich mag dich ja zu Allem nehmen;
du willst mir selber Alles sein:
so sollst du denn in allen Sachen
den Anfang und das Ende machen;
dann stellt sich lauter Segen ein.

3 Du leitest mich, ich kann nicht gleiten,
dein Wort muß ewig feste stehn:
du sprichst, dein Auge soll mich leiten;
dein Angesicht soll vor mir gehn;
ja deine Güte und Erbarmen
soll mich umfangen und unarmen.
O daß ich nur recht kindlich sei,
bei allem gläubig zu dir flehe
und stets auf deinen Wink nur sehe,
so spür ich täglich neue Treu.

4 O daß ich auch in Kleinsten merke
auf deine Weisheit, Güt und Treu,
damit ich mich im Glauben stärke,
dich lieb und lob und ruhig sei,
und deine Weisheit lasse walten,
stets Orbnung, Maaß und Ziel zu halten;
denn lauf ich vor, da lauf ich an.
Drum mach im Besten mich gelassen,
nichts ohne dich mir anzumaßen:
was du mir thust, ist wohlgethan.

[5 Due weißt allein die besten Weiden,
auch das, was an mir Schaden übt,
drum laß dein Schäflein alles meiden,
was ihm nicht gute Nahrung gibt.
Ach, daß ich nicht mehr von dir irre,
noch zur Zerstreuung mich verliere,
auch nicht im allerbesten Schein!
Ach, halte meine Seele feste,
hab acht auf mich aufs allerbeste,
und halte der Versuchung ein.

6 Du wollst ohn Unterlaß mich treiben
zum Wachen, Ringen, Flehn und Schrein.
Laß mir dein Wort im Herzen bleiben,
und in mir Geist und Leben sein;
laß deinen Zuruf stets erschallen,
mit Furcht, und als vor dir zu wallen,
laß mich stets eingekehret sein:
vermehr in mir dein innres Leben,
dir unaufhörlich Frucht zu geben,
und laß nichts lau noch träges ein.

7 O daß ich mich in nichts verweilte,
was mir hat Zeit und Kraft verzehrt!
O daß ich stets zum Himmel eilte!
Mein Held, umgürte du dein Schwert,
und brich durch alle Hindernisse,
ja, laß nach deinem Wort die Füße
hinfort gewisse Tritte thun,
laß mich in allen Wort und Werken,
auf deines Geistes Trieb nur merken,
und nicht im eignen Willen mein.]

8 Ach! mach einmal mich treu und stille,
daß ich dir immer folgen kann.
Nur dein, nur dein vollkommner Wille
sei hier mein Schranken, Lauf und Bahn.
Laß mich nichts mehr für mich verlangen,
ja laß mir nichts am Herzen hangen,
als deines heilgen Namens Ruhm;
der sei allein mein Ziel auf Erden:
ach! laß mir's nie verrücket werden;
denn ich bin ja dein Eingenthum.

9 Laß mich in dir den Vater preisen,
wie er die Liebe selber ist;
laß deinen Geist mir klärlich weisen,
wir du von ihm geschenkt mir bist.
Ach, offenbare deine Liebe
und wirke doch die heißen Triebe
der reinen Gegenlieb in mir;
durchbringe dadurch Herz und Sinnen,
daß ich hinfort mein ganz Beginnen
in deiner Lieb und Lob nur spür.

10 Ich sehne mich, nur dir zu leben,
der du mein Herr und Bräutigam bist.
Was dir sich nicht will ganz ergeben,
und was nicht deines Willens ist,
das strafe bald in dem Gewissen;
laß Blut und Wasser auf mich fließen
und tilge was nicht lauter heißt.
Laß nur dein Lob zur Lust mir werden,
und dann das Heil der armen Heerden
mit einer reinen Lieb im Geist.

11 So lob und lieb ich in der Stille
und ruh als Kind in deinem Schooß.
Das Schäflein trinkt aus deiner Fülle,
die Braut steht aller Sorgen bloß;
sie sorget nur allein in allen
dir, ihrem Bräut'gam zu gefallen:
sie schmückt und hält sich dir bereit.
Ach zeuch mich, zeuch mich weit von hinnen;
was du nicht bist, laß ganz zerrinnen,
o reiner Glanz der Ewigkeit.

No comments: