25 November 2022

Licht vom Licht, erleuchte mich (supplement)

Here is my supplemental translation for “Light of Light, Enlighten Me” (C. Winkworth, 1858, 1863) a translation of the Sunday Morning hymn “Licht vom Licht, erleuchte mich” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), which omitted stanza 7, as do the translations of Buckoll and Dunn. Winkworth’s translation appeared, in either 6, 5 (omitting also st. 5), or 4 (further omitting st. 3), in the Lutheran Hymnary, the Ev. Luth. Hymnal, Hymns for the Use of Evangelical Lutheran Congregations, and the Service Book and Hymnal of the LCA, among others. The German text, included in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #331, first appears in the author’s Andächtige Herze (Breslau/Liegnitz, 1715). The appointed melody is “Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht.”



LIGHT of light, enlighten me,
Now anew the day is dawning;
Sun of grace, the shadows flee,
Brighten Thou my Sabbath morning;
With Thy joyous sunshine blest,
Happy is my day of rest!

2 Fount of all our joy and peace,
To Thy living waters lead me;
Thou from earth my soul release,
And with grace and mercy feed me;
Bless Thy word, that it may prove
Rich in fruits that Thou dost love.

3 Kindle Thou the sacrifice
That upon my lips is lying;
Let Thy wisdom light mine eyes,
That, from every error flying,
No strange fire may in me glow
That Thine altar doth not know.

4 Let me with my heart today,
Holy, holy, holy singing,
Rapt awhile from earth away,
All my soul to Thee upspringing,
Have a foretaste, inly giv’n,
How they worship Thee in heav’n.

5 Rest in me and I in Thee,
Build a paradise within me;
Oh, reveal Thyself to me,
Blessed Love, who diedst to win me!
Fed from Thine exhaustless urn,
Pure and bright my lamp shall burn.

6 Hence all care, all vanity,
For the day to God is holy:
Come, Thou glorious Majesty,
Deign to fill this temple lowly;
Naught today my soul shall move,
Simply resting in Thy love.


7 Greater Thou than Solomon,
Let me of Thy wisdom savor;
I Thy Mercy-seat will own
And will, kneeling, honor ever,
Till on me Thy sun shall break,
And the fairest Sunday make.

Stanzas 1–6, tr. C. Winkworth, 1863, alt.
Translation st. 7 © 2022 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

Licht vom Licht, erleuchte mich
bei dem neuen Tageslichte,
Gnadensonne, stelle dich
vor meine muntres Angesichte;
wohne mir mit Glanze bei,
daß mein Sabbath heilig sei.

2 Brunnquell aller Süßigkeit,
laß mir deine Ströme fließen,
mache Mund und Herz bereit,
dich in Andacht recht zu küssen,.
Streu das Wort mit Segen ein,
laß es hundertfrüchtig sein.

3 Zünde selbst das Opfer an,
das auf meinen Lippen lieget,
sei mir Weisheit, Licht und Bahn,
daß kein Irrthum mich betrüget,
und kein fremdes Feuer brennt,
welches dein Altar nicht kennt.

4 Laß mich heut und allezeit
Heilig,Heilig, Heilig! singen,
und mich in die Ewigkeit
mit des Geistes Flügeln schwingen.
Gieb mir einen Vorschmack ein,
wie es wird im Himmel sein.

5 Ruh in mir und ich in dir,
bau ein Paradies ins Herze.
Offenbare dich doch mir,
und geuß meiner Andachtskerze
immer neuens Oele zu,
o du Liebesflamme du.

6 Dieser Tog sei dir geweiht,
weg mit allen Eitelkeiten!
Ich will deiner Herrlichkeit
einen Temple zubereiten:
nichts sonst wollen, nichts sonst thun,
als in deiner Liebe ruhn.

7 Du bist mehr als Salomon,
laß mich deine Weisheit hören;
ich will deinen Gnadenthron
mit gebeugten Knien ehren,
bis mir deine Sonne lacht
und den schönsten Sonntag macht.   

No comments: