22 November 2022

Mein Gott, die Sonne geht herfür

Here is my translation of the Sunday Morning hymn, “Mein Gott, die Sonne geht herfür” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), from Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #325, originally from the author’s Der lustige Sabbath (1712), in the appendix of weekly morning and evening hymns. Fischer records J. P. Lange (Reformed scholar) as calling it “a legal[istic] meditation without lyrical power.” In its simplicity and meter it is reminiscent of ancient office hymns. The appointed melody is “O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht,” which in Layriz is “Herr Jesu Christ . . .”



MY God, the sun arises now,
In me the very Sun be Thou,
The Sun of righteousness within
To drive away the shades of sin.

2 For Thee my first bring,
My heart belongs to Thee, my King,
Oh, come Thyself and dwell in me,
This temple sanctify for Thee!

3 Grant me to keep my way from sin,
Ere to Thy temple I go in
With all Thy faithful Christian band,
That holy I before Thee stand.

4 Prepare my heart and mouth and hand
And make me wise to understand,
That I Thy Word devoutly hear,
And so Thy glorious name revere.

5 All firmly in my heart enthrone,
Lest I a hearer be alone,
Meanwhile Thy strength bestow on me,
That I a doer too may be.

6 Help me throughout this holy day
With soul and body rest alway,
Let me the worldlings’ way forsake,
Who sinfully Thy Sabbath break.

7 So will I go rejoicingly
Within Thy house to be with Thee
My heart with fitting garments dressed,
O Holy Trinity most blest!

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Mein Gott, die Sonne geht herfür,
sei du die Sonne selbst in mir,
die Sonne der Gerechtigkeit,
vertreib der Sünden Dunkelheit.

2 Mein erstes Opfer ist dein Ruhm,
mein Herz ist selbst dein Eigenthum.
Ach kehre gnädig bei mir ein, [Ach kehre selbsten…]
du mußt dir selbst den Tempel weihn.

3 Gieb, daß ich meinen Fuß bewahr,
eh ich mit deiner Kirchenschaar
hinein zum Hause Gottes geh, [zum Hause Gottes wallen…]
daß ich da heilig vor dir steh. [daß ich auch…]

4 Bereite mir Herz, Mund und Hand [Bereite Herze…]
und gieb mir Weisheit und Verstand,
daß ich dein Wort mit Andacht hör,
zu deines großen Namens Ehr.

5 Schreib Alles fest in meinen Sinn,
daß ich nicht nur ein Hörer bin;
verleih mir deine Kraft dabei, [Verleihe deine…]
daß ich zugleich ein Thäter sei.

6 Hilf, daß ich diesen ganzen Täg
mit Leib und Seele feiern mag;
bewahr mich vor der argen Welt,
die deinen Sabbath sündlich hält.

7 So geh ich denn mit Freuden hin,
wo ich bei dir zu Hause bin,
mein Herz ist willig und bereit,
o heilige Dreieinigkeit!

No comments: