25 April 2023

Liebster Gott, wann werd ich sterben

Here is my translation of the Death & Burial hymn, “Liebster Gott, wann werd ich sterben” (Caspar Neumann, d. 1715), Ev.-luth. Gsb #668, first appearing, as Fischer notes, in the Breslau hymnal Vollständige Kirchen- und Haus-Music, 8th ed. (ca. 1690) with title “Thoughts of Death” “. . . The hymn was held in great respect. In 1730, Gabriel Wimmer published edifying meditations based on it. Yet on stanza 3, Zinzendorf, in his Jeremias, part 4, ch. VIII, makes a sharp observation . . . Here, Zinzendorf thinks, the soul is mentioned only en passant and for the rest, the sequence of topics corresponds to the salvation-order of most of our hearers: What will we eat? What will we drink? With what shall we be clothed and—finally, be saved? It does not happen without God, he says finally, that the animorum sensa are also manifested on such occasions. This harsh reproach may have caused Freylinghausen to avoid including it.” Thus far Fischer. The melody is “Freu dich sehr, o meine Seele.”

 



WHEN, dear God, shall I be dying?
Here my time will soon be done,
And the heirs of Adam sighing,
Of whom also I am one,
As their father’s portion have
That, before the cooling grave,
Grief must here be briefly suffered,
Then to earth their bodies offered.

2 Yet I will not go despairing
Nor resist when it must be.
In my members I am bearing
Seeds of my mortality;
Daily life around us shows,
Mortal after mortal goes,
Many now the worms are feeding
Whom I knew in days preceding.

3 What, O God, shall I be thinking
When blinks out life’s little coal?
Where will then these limbs be sinking?
What will happen with my soul?
Oh, what sorrows I foresee!
Whose shall my provisions be?
Whither shall my friends belovèd,
When they die, be hence removèd?

4 Yet what need for care or sorrow?
Shall I not to Jesus go?
Rather this day than tomorrow!
Flesh shall rise again, I know.
Readily the world I leave,
Bid it all these things receive,
And bequeath to my descendants
God, who quickens His dependants.

5 Lord of life and death, I pray Thee,
Let me well my spirit yield,
Boldly at Thy call obey Thee,
Let my end by Thee be sealed;
Let my grave be well arrayed,
Godly Christians round me laid,
Let me then, by earth surrounded,
Never after be confounded.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Lieber Gott, wann wird ich sterben?
Meine Zeit läuft immer hin,
und des alten Adams Erben,
unter denen ich auch bin,
haben das zum Vatertheil,
daß sie eine kleine Weil
arm und elend sind auf Erden,
und dann selber Erde werden.

2 Ich zwar will mich auch nicht widern,
zu beschließen meine Zeit;
trag ich doch in allen Gliedern
Saamen von der Sterblichkeit;
geht doch immer da und dort,
einer nach dem andern fort,
und schon mancher liegt im Grabe,
den ich wohl gekennet habe.

3 Aber, Gott, was werd ich denken,
wenn es wird auf Sterben gehn?
Wo wird man den Leib versenken?
Wie wirds um die Seele stehn?
Ach was Kummer fällt mir ein!
Wessen wird mein Vorrath sein?
Und wo werden meine Lieben
nach einander hin verstieben?

4 Doch was darf es dieser Sorgen?
Soll ich nicht zu Jesu gehn?
Lieber heute noch als morgen;
denn mein Fleisch wird auferstehn.
Ich verzeih es gern der Welt,
daß sie Alles hier behält,
und bescheide meinen Erben
einen Gott, der nicht kann sterben.

5 Herrscher über Tod und Leben,
mach einmal mein Ende gut;
lehre mich den Geist aufgeben
mit recht wohl gefaßtem Muth;
hilf daß ich ein ehrlich Grab
neben frommen Christen hab,
und auch endlich in der Erde
nimmermehr zu Schanden werde.

No comments: