24 April 2023

Treuer Gott, in deine Hände

 Here is my translation of the death hymn “Treuer Gott, in deine Hände” (Christian Weise, d. 1708), Ev.-luth. Gsb #666, originally from the hymn-appendix to the author’s Eines christlichen Hertzens gottergebene Gedanken . . . (Dresden, 1703) with the title “On the words of Psalm 31:5.” The appointed melody in the Wisconsin hymnal is “Jesu, deine tiefen Wunden” though it was usually sung to “Zion klagt” or “Freu dich sehr,” and certainly either melody might thereby be indicated.

 




FAITHFUL God, let be commended
My poor spirit to Thy hands!
For in death Thy comfort splendid
Braces as two iron bands:
Thou dost love me heartily,
And hast pledged Thy Son to me;
With this balm of Thy bestowing,
I know whither I am going.

2 Though my pow’rs have me forsaken
Thy salvation shineth clear;
By the cords of death I’m taken,
Yet Thy hand Thou reachest near,
And my name upon Thy hand
Evermore doth graven stand;
Thus I stand assured forever
That I have Thy grace and favor.

3 Jesus will not let them perish
Who by His dear blood are bought.
Dying still this hope I cherish,
Though in limbs with frailty fraught;
Yet Thy Spirit doth impart
Proofs that Thou my Father art,
By whose gifts of grace redemption
Shall provide me my exemption.

4 Since Thy Son is my Deliv’rer,
Thou, my God, wilt faithful be;
Of all blessing He’s the Giver,
And His blessing dwells in me
Surely as the cov’nant stands
Made at Baptism by God’s hands,
Surely as all my transgression
By His blood receives remission.

5 Only help me hold my Savior,
Till at last He blesses me;
And when hence I leave forever,
Leave Thou not my family!
Let them not invite Thy wrath,
Keep them on Thy righteous path,
Let them in their tears and sadness
Yearn to see Thy heav’nly gladness.

6 God be praised, I sense the ending,
After which my heart has pressed!
To Thy hands myself commending,
Wherein lies the fairest rest,
I escape all agony,
For Thou faithful art to me!
Therefore save me, I implore Thee
In the name of Christ, my Glory!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver

GERMAN
Treuer Gott! in deine Hände
soll mein Geist befohlen sein:
denn der Trost am letzten Ende
stellt sich nun gedoppelt ein,
daß du mich von Herzen liebst,
deinen Sohn zum Pfande giebst.
Weil ich nun dies wohl bewahre;
weiß ich schon, wohin ich fahre.

2 Meine Kräfte sind verschwunden,
doch dein Heil ist mir bekannt.
Noth und Tod hat mich gebunden:
doch du reichst mir deine Hand,
in der ich jetzt und forthin
gnädig eingezeichnet bin,
und worin ich mein Geschenke
ewig zu behalten denke.

3 Jesus läßt den nicht verderben,
den sein Blut erlöset hat;
also bin ich indem Sterben
nur am Leibe schwach und matt:
in dem Herzen zeugt der Geist,
daß Gott selbst mein Vater heißt;
und durch dessen Gnadengaben
werd ich die Erlösung haben.

4 Christi des Erlösers wegen
bleibst du mir, mein Gott! getreu;
und sein hochverdienter Segen
wohnet mir wahrhaftig bei:
so gewiß der Bund besteht,
der in meiner Tauf angeht,
und so wahr ich für die Sünde
durch sein Blut Vergebung finde.

5 Hilf nur, daß ich Jesum fasse,
bis er mir den Segen spricht;
und wenn ich die Welt verlasse,
so verlaß die meinen nicht:
nimm sie wohl und gnädig an,
führe sie auf rechter Bahn,
und laß sie bei allen Thränen
sich nach deiner Wonne sehnen.

6 Nun, Gott Lob! hier ist das Ende,
wohin Herz und Geist gezielt,
welcher sich in deine Hände
zu der besten Ruh befiehlt.
So entgeh ich aller Noth;
denn du bist mein treuer Gott,
und auf Jesu theuren Namen […diesen theuren Namen]
sprich du selbst ein gnädig Amen. [spricht mein Jesus selber:…]

No comments: