15 April 2023

Wie froh wird meine Seele sein

Here is my translation of the hymn on the joy of the Lord, “Wie froh wird meine Seele sein” (Johann Jänichen, d. 1731), from Ev.-luth. Gsb #645, originally appearing in the Halle Gsb 1713. The melody appointed in the Wisconsin hymnal is “Herr Jesus Christ, du höchstes Gut.”

 


HOW glad my soul will be indeed
At Jesus’ declaration:
“Come, O ye blest, from troubles freed,
And enter your possession!
Come and receive the kingdom true
Which God the Father wrought for you
Before the world’s creation.”

2 I’ll enter in with great delight
To be with my dear Savior!
There will I stand upon His right,
Nor foes to harm me ever;
The Lamb of God will there appear,
My fairest One, my Bridegroom dear,
Will to the wedding bring me.

3 Here in the realm of grace below,
A foretaste I am given,
But evermore I’ll taste and know
the Bread of Life in heaven;
The founts of life there issue free
O’er soul and body constantly
From out of His abundance.

4 I’m blest and hallowed by His blood,
That pure and precious river,
Which turneth every ill to good,
For all His subjects ever;
All guilt and debt it hath erased,
And I am in God’s love embraced,
Which richly I encounter.

5 God is my Father, I His heir,
Therefore I cannot perish.
What goods I shall inherit there,
Which here in hope I cherish!
The glorious robe of Christ is mine,
The priceless blessedness divine,
Which here no eye perceiveth.

6 God from the world’s beginning hath
Prepared for me this treasure;
Gold often paves the hellward path,
But this is without measure.
This legacy remains my bliss:
As long as God eternal is,
So long shall I enjoy it.

7 Therefore, my heart, do not despair
When cross and woe betide thee;
Christ is Thy Light and Comfort e’er;
From Him can naught divide thee.
The fleeting grief that now doth press
Compares not to that gloriousness
In thee to be revealèd.

8 There shalt thou see God face to face,
Upon His gaze attending;
How well ’twill be in His embrace,
And in His light unending!
Delivered then from every pain,
Blest in the Lord thou shalt remain
And filled with joy forever.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Wie froh wird meine Seele sein,
wenn Jesus einst wird sagen:
Kommt, ihr Gesegnete herein,
befreit von allen Plagen;
kommt, erbet meines Vaters Reich,
das er bereitet hat für euch,
eh er die Welt erschaffen.

2 Mit was für Freuden werd ich gehn
zum Freunde meiner Seelen!
ich werde ihm zur Rechten stehn,
mich wird kein Feind mehr quälen;
das auserwählte Gotteslamm,
mein Schönster und mein Bräutigam,
wird mich zu Hochzeit führen.

3 Der Vorschmack muß mich schon allhier
im Gnadenreiche laben,
im Himmel soll ich für und für
das Brod des Lebens haben;
die Lebensbrünnlein sollen dort
auf Leib und Seele fort und fort
aus seiner Fülle fließen.

4 Gesegnet bin ich durch sein Blut,
das er für mich vergossen;
dies Blut macht allen Schaden gut
bei seinen Reichsgenossen;
es hat getilget alle Schuld,
darum läßt Gott mir seine Huld
so reichlich widerfahren.

5 Gott ist mein Vater, ich sein Kind,
drum kann ich nicht verderben.
Die Güter, die erworben sind,
soll ich im Himmel erben.
Ich erbe Christi Ehrenkleid,
die unschätzbare Seligkeit,
die hier kein Auge siehet.

6 Gott hat von Anbeginn der Welt
dies Erbtheil mir bereitet;
ihm gleichet weder Gold noch Geld,
das oft zur Hölle leitet;
dies Erbtheil bleibet ewig mien;
so lange Gott wird ewig sein,
so lange soll ich's haben.

7 Darum, mein Herz, verzage nicht
in deinem Kreuz und leiden;
dein Jesus ist dein Trost und Licht,
nichts kann von ihm dich scheiden;
das kurze leid, das dich beschwert,
ist jener Herrlichkeit nicht werth,
zu welcher du sollst kommen.

8 Da wirst du Gott von Angesicht
zu Angesichte sehen;
wie wohl wird dir bei diesem Licht
in Ewigkeit geschehen.
Du wirst befreit von aller Pein,
gesegnet in dem Herren sein
und ewiglich dich freuen.

No comments: