10 April 2023

Dem König, welcher Blut und Leben

Here is my translation of the Communion hymn, “Dem König, welcher Blut und Leben” (Ernst Gottlieb Woltersdorf, d. 1761), from Ev.-luth. Gsb #180, first published in the author’s posthumous Sämtliche neue Lieder (Berlin, 1767) and titled (by reference to the foregoing hymn there) “The remembrance of the Crucified Jesus in the Supper. 1 Cor. 11:24–26.” As may be seen from the position in the Wisconsin hymnal, this hymn was inadvertently passed over in the course of the previous year and is here inserted especially as not inappropriate to the Easter season. The appointed melody is “O daß ich tausend Zungen hätte.”

 




THE King who blood and life hath given
To save the life of all His own
Be glorified in earth and heaven!
His praises evermore intone!
Sing all the wonders of our God,
Yet over all extol His blood!

2 My heart hath found that King victorious,
Where else but there on Calv’ry’s mound?
There from His wounds flows healing for us,
There my redemption too is found;
He let His life for me outflow
While I was yet His fervent foe.

3 To whom else should I then surrender,
O King that dièdst on the tree?
My blood and life to Thee I tender,
My heart pours out itself to Thee;
I to Thy crossèd banner swear,
Thy citizen and soldier e’er.

4 Lord, for Thy blood my soul is thirsting;
Thy parchèd land doth pant for rain.
My heart without Thy life is bursting;
My life doth wither, shrink, and wane,
My spirit shall be faint and ill
Until Thy blood upon me spill.

5 Give Thee as manna to sustain me!
Thy wine of joy my heart supply,
That I forget not nor disdain Thee!
Thyself within me glorify;
Then will I daily sup with Thee;
Thy merits cannot numbered be.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Dem König, welcher Blut und Leben
dem Leben seiner Völker weiht,
dem König werde Preis gegeben!
Erzählt sein Lob der Ewigkeit!
singt alle Wunder, die er thut;
doch über alles rühmt sein Blut!

2 Den König hat mein Herz gefunden,
wo anders als auf Golgatha?
Da floß mein Heil aus seinen Wunden;
auch mich, auch mich erlöst er da.
Für mich gab er sein Leben hin,
der ich aus seinen Feinden bin!

3 Wem anders sollt ich mich ergeben? –
O König, der am Holz verblich,
hier opf'r ich dir mein Blut und Leben,
mein ganzes Herz ergießet sich;
dir schwör ich zu der Kreuzesfahn
als Streiter und als Unterthan.

4 Mich dürstet, Herr nach deinem Blute,
nach Regen lechzt dein dürres Land.
Ach, außer dir, dem höchsten Gute,
ist keine Nahrung mir bekannt.
Mein Geist ist elend und beklemmt,
bis daß dein Blut mich überschwemmt.

5 Gieb dich, ein Manna, mir zu essen!
Dein Freudenwein erfülle mich!
O laß mich deiner nie vergessen!
in meinem Geist verkläre dich;
so halt ich täglich Abendmahl;
denn dein Verdienst ist ohne Zahl.

No comments: