05 April 2023

Ich hab mich Gott ergeben (Siegfried)

 Here is my translation of the Death and Burial hymn, “Ich hab mich Gott ergeben / dem liebsten Vater mein”* (Johannes Leon / Johann Siegfried, d. 1637), Ev.-luth. Gsb #624, based on the 1st stanza of the similarly titled hymn by Johannes Leon from his Trostbüchlein (1611), with the other four original stanzas replaced by three new stanzas written by Johann Siegfried and appearing first in Clauder’s Psalmodia nova (Altenburg, 1627). The Wisc. hymnal appointes the melody “Herzlich thut mich verlangen,” though it is often tied (with splitting of stanzas) to the tune “Christus der ist mein Leben.”

 



TO God myself commending,—
My Father dear,—I say:
Here is no life unending,
At last we must away;
Death brings no separation;
It only is my gain;
In peace and jubilation
I shall depart from pain.

2 My path away is turning;
O world, what worth art thou?
Far more for heaven yearning,
I lift my vision now:
Nor weigh me with transgression
For I desire to go;
In peace and jubilation
I shall depart from woe.

3 What blessed joy and pleasure
The Lord hath wrought for me,
Where Christ shall sun and treasure,
Life and salvation be!
Where then is perturbation,
Since I in Christ abide?
In peace and jubilation
I follow now my Guide.

4 Beloved friends, God bless you!
My dear ones, peaceful be!
Let weeping not possess you;
No torments torment me!
God’s harbor is our station,
Thereon then set thine eye;
In peace and jubilation
I hail my voyage nigh!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich hab mich Gott ergeben,
dem liebsten Vater mein;
hier ist kein Immerleben,
es muß geschieden sein.
Der Tod kann mir nicht schaden,
er ist nur mein Gewinn;
in Gottes Fried und Gnaden
fahr ich mit Freud dahin.

2 Mein Weg geht jetzt vorüber,
o Welt, was acht ich dein?
Der Himmel ist mir lieber,
da muß ich trachten ein;
mich nicht mit Sünd beladen,
weil ich wegfertig bin;
in Gottes Fried und Gnaden
fahr ich mit Freud dahin.

3 Ach selge Freud und Wonne
hat mir der Herr bereit't,
da Christus ist die Sonne,
Leben und Seligkeit.
Was kann mir doch nun schaden,
weil ich bei Christo bin?
In Gottes Fried und Gnaden
fahr ich mit Freud dahin.

4 Geseg'n euch Gott, ihr Meinen,
ihr Liebsten allzumal,
um mich sollt ihr nicht weinen,
ich weiß von keiner Qual;
den rechten Port noch heute
nehmt fleißig ja in Acht;
in Gottes Fried und Freuden
fahrt mir bald all hernach.

No comments: