06 April 2023

Liebster Jesu, laß mich nicht

Here is my translation of the Death and Burial hymn, “Liebster Jesu, laß mich nicht” (Zacharias Herrmann, d. 1716), Ev.-luth. Gsb #625. Fischer does not mention our hymn. While generally ascribed to Herrmann, I find Feldner’s name given as the first possible author, in Burg’s Gsb 1745 (ed. 1751, 1761), p. 630: “Jac. Feldner, or else Zach. Hermann.” There the melody is “Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht.” Earlier, in Caspar Neumann’s Silesian Gsb (1727), only Hermann is given, with the same melody. Following Burg, Gottlob Kluge, in his Gsb (1747), has this note: “Num. 370. M. Jacob Feldner, is unknown to me. It appears in the Silesian Gsb no. 1046, p. 630, as the author for this hymn. Among blessed M. Zach. Herrmann’s hymns I find one of similar beginning. v. Wetzel, part IV, p. 229, line 244. [Title]: ‘Not to Be Forsaken by Jesus in Dying.’ Mel. ‘Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht.’” Koch, in his section on Zacharias Herrmann (Geschichte IV, p. 39) writes that after his death, Daniel Herrmann, deacon in Lissa, published 40 his fathers hymns as Frommer Christen seufzende Seele und singender Mund in Gebeten und Liedern (Breslau/Leipzig, 1722). “Here are found, first, rhymed prayers on the Gospels, then the 40 selected hymns, and finally again rhymed prayers on the Epistles. Those most disseminated in hymnals and still retained include: Liebster Jesu laß mich nicht . . . (erroneously ascribed to M. Jakob Feldner in the Breslau Gsb) . . .” Peculiarly, the Wisconsin hymnal gives the possibly more fitting melody “Jesus meine Zuversicht.” The former melody is of course that of the text which no doubt suggested this hymnodic counterpart or “antithesis” (in the positive sense).

 




DEAREST Jesus, leave me not!
Look on me in death’s great battle;
When these limbs to death are brought,
Let him not my spirit rattle;
By Thy death my dying bless,
To o’ercome the last distress!

2 Faithful Jesus, leave me not!
Of the weak the great Physician,
Dearly Thou my life hast bought,
My salvation is Thy mission;
Now my powèrs fail and flee;
O my Jesus! strengthen me.

3 Mighty Jesus, leave me not,
For I hang upon Thee solely!
Judgment hath great terror wrought,
Sin with fright doth fill me wholly;
Yet Thy merit and Thy grace
All my guilty debts efface.

4 Gentle Jesus, leave me not,
When my final hour has found me,
To my eyes Thy light allot,
Let the angels gather round me,
That to gentle rest they may
Heavenward my soul convey.

5 Faithful Jesus, leave me not,
I would not depart without Thee!
They in heaven have no plot,
As Thou say’st, who spurn or doubt Thee.
Oh, abide, abide in me!
Grant me blessed death in Thee!

6 Yet, O Jesus, leave not mine
Here to mourn in devastation;
Let Thy face upon them shine,
With a constant consolation:
When their earthly life is past,
Bring them heavenward at last.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Liebster Jesu, laß mich nicht,
schau auf mich, wenn ich muß kämpfen,
wenn der Tod die Glieder bricht,
hilf, daß ich ihn möge dämpfen,
und durch deinen Kreuzestod
überwinden alle Noth.

2 Treuer Jesu! laß mich nicht
denn du bist ein Arzt der Schwachen;
ja, du hast dich mir verpflicht,
daß du willst mich selig machen;
meine Kräfte neigen sich,
o mein Jesu! stärke mich.

3 Starker Jesu! laß mich nicht,
weil ich doch an dir nur hange;
mich erschreckt zwar das Gericht,
und die Sünde macht mir bange;
aber dein Verdienst und Huld
decket alle meine Schuld.

4 Süßer Jesu! laß mich nicht,
wenn du siehst ich soll gesegnen;
führe mich, du bist mein Licht,
laß die Engel mir begegnen,
daß sie mich zur süßen Ruh
tragen nach dem Himmel zu.

5 Treuer Jesu! laß mich nicht,
denn ohn dich will ich nicht sterben;
Niemand, wie dein Mund selbst spricht,
kann ohn dich den Himmel erben;
darum bleib, ach bleib in mir,
daß ich selig sterb in in dir.

6 Jesu! laß auch diese nicht,
ja dann bitter um mich weinen; [so denn…]
laß dein gnädig Angesicht
ihnen stets mit Trost erscheinen;
zeuch sie aus dem Ungemach
endlich in den Himmel nach!

No comments: