19 April 2023

Ach, wann werd ich dahin kommen

Here is my translation of the hymn on heavenly longing (also, Communion, death & burial), “Ach, wann werd ich dahin kommen” (Johann Christoph Kohlhans, d. 1677), from the Ev.-luth. Gsb #655, from the author’s Parodiæ Scheinianæ oder Abschiedslieder, so nach etlichen Melodien Hermann Scheins gemacht sind (Coburg, 1642) and based on Psalm 42. Indeed, the first line is the same as the 2nd stanza of Kohlhans-contemporary Paul Gerhard’s psalm paraphrase “Wie der Hirsch im großen Dürsten.” This hymn is also to be distinguished from the similarly beginning, “A. w. w. i. d. k., / daß ich meinen Jesum seh,” by Ämilia Juliana Countess of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. The appointed melody is “Ringe recht wenn Gottes Gnade.”

 


OH, when shall I come before Thee,
And behold, O God, Thy face?
When with gladness see Thy glory
Where Thou hast prepared a place?

2 As when brooks of water seeking,
Runs the hart most fervently,
So in thirst beyond all speaking
Do I pant, Lord God, for Thee.

3 Here my soul doth weary totter,
Seeking but to quench its thirst
From the fount where living water
Evermore doth freely burst.

4 Yea, it longs to see its Savior,
Jesus Christ would fain be shown,
And would enter bliss forever—
Is its longing, this alone.

5 Therefore let me come before Thee,
And behold, O God, Thy face,
And with gladness see Thy glory
Where Thou hast prepared a place!

6 Till that time I’ll find amending
In His body and His blood
And refreshed, my sighs be sending
God, to Thee, my highest Good.

7 Shall the jaws of hell alarm me?
To no danger am I prone:
Sin hath little pow’r to harm me,
Since I am Christ Jesus’ own.

8 Though in death’s dark vale I suffer
Some affliction, I’ll not fall.
Christ His sturdy staff will proffer,
Till I reach the heav’nly hall.

9 Then from strife at last resigning
For the heav’nly victory,
Like the sun I shall be shining,
And with Christ forever be.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN
Ach, wann werd ich dahin kommen,
daß ich Gottes Angesicht
schau, und was er hat den Frommen
in dem Himmel zugericht?

2 Wie nach einem Wasserbrunnen
ein Hirsch schreiet mit Begier:
also auch mit meiner Jungen […für Angst zerrunnen]
lechz ich, o Herr Gott, zu dir.

3 Ihren Durst begehrt zu stillen […gestillet]
meine matte Seel allhier
aus dem Brunnen der thut quillen […da quillet]
Lebenswasser für und für.

4 Ja sie wünschet bald zu sehen
ihren Heiland Jesum Christ;
bald in Himmel einzugehen,
einzig ihr Verlangen ist.

5 Drum, Gott, laß mich dahin kommen,
daß ich bald dein Angesicht
schau, und was du hast den Frommen
in dem Himmel zugericht.

6 Ich will mich so lang erquicken
hier mit Christi Leib und Blut,
und voran die Seufzer schicken,
Gott zu dir, mein Höchstes Gut.

7 Klagt mich an der Höllen Rachen: [Klafft…]
ohne Schaden geh ich hin;
wenig kann die Sünde machen,
weil ich Christi eigen bin.

8 Muß ich auch mit Schmerzen wallen
durch das finstre Todesthal:
Christus läßt mich doch nicht fallen,
bis hin in den Himmelsaal. [bis ich komm ins…]

9 Also hab ich denn gewonnen,
in den Himmel geh ich ein;
leuchten werd ich gleich der Sonnen
und bei Christo ewig sein.


No comments: