20 September 2022

Du gehest in den Garten beten / Du gehst zum Garten um zu beten (supplement)

Here is my supplemental translation of the Passion & Prayer hymn, “Du gehest in den Garten beten” (Johann Mentzer, 1734), which takes Jesus’ praying in the Garden of Gethsemane as a lesson for Christian prayer generally (the “art of prayer”), which, it may be argued, is not the primary lesson to be drawn from this event. In any case, the application makes it more suitable for Rogation Week than Holy Week. Perhaps because of its substantial (mostly stylistic) revision beginning “Du gehst zum (or in) Garten um zu beten,” it is sometimes wrongly ascribed that Benjamin Schmolck, while the Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch itself ascribes it to Johann Conrad Klemm, 1763, long after its first appearance. The revisions increased gradually from 1740 through the 19th c., so I provide only the latest and most extreme variants in the square brackets. The translation of revised stanzas 1–5, 7, and 12 by Jeremiah Eames Rankin appears in his German-English Lyrics: Sacred and Secular (1898). I provide the missing stanzas as well as an alternate for stanza 9 marked “9v.” 

In the Ev. Liederschatz, a footnote clarifies the end of stanza 12 evangelically: “That is, by my prayer I obtain the grace by which I am able to enter heaven.”

The appointed melody in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch is “Wer weiß, wie nahe mir mein Ende,” thought elsewhere it is “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.”

 



 

TO pray Thou goest to the Garden,
Take me, my Jesus, with Thee there.
Wilt Thou the rude intrusion pardon!
I’d learn from Thee the art of pray’r.
On Thee, dear Master, fixed my eye,
Would learn how pray’r mounts to the sky.

2 Sore troubled, Lord, I see Thou’rt going,
And sorrowful, e’en unto death!
This to my thoughtful heart is showing
That mortal pray’r is burdened breath.
A broken and a contrite heart
Is the beginning of the art.

3 From Thy disciples, Lord, receding,
Thou’rt seeking deeper solitude;
A like seclusion I am needing,
Where time and sense cannot intrude.
Draw me from all the world aside,
To Thee in solitude allied.

4 On the cold earth, Lord, Thou art kneeling,
And fallen prostrate on Thy face!
O heart, be humbled, not unfeeling,
I’m dust and ashes, void of grace.
I’ll cast me down in nothingness,
Like thee, in anguish and distress.

5 Thou prayest to Thy Father holy,
’Tis Abba, Father! like a child.
He stoops to listen to the lowly;
And I with sin am all defiled.
In the dear name I sinful sigh,
And Abba, Abba, Father! cry.

6 Filled with all trust and love, Thou pryest
Deep in the heart, so quickly stirred,
Of God the Father, as Thou criest
“My—My—My Abba!” heavenward.
So I of faith and love have need,
Or else my prayer is dead indeed.

7 Thy grief Thou lay’st with piteous feeling
Before the chast’ning Father’s face;
With what great force Thou knock’st, appealing
For rescue at the door of grace!
I too lament what torments me
And all my wants I seek from Thee.

8 O patient Lamb! why Thy delaying,
And thrice repeating Thy request?
This, then, is in the art of praying,
This kind Thy Father loves the best.
Who prays well once, prays o’er and o’er,
And, first refused, but asks the more.

9 And what is this I hear Thee crying,
as though, at length, the prize were won?
Thy wish to His thus crucifying,
“Not My will, Father, Thine be done!”
So should I hush my heart and still,
And wait in pray’r the Father’s will.

[9v Thy will unto the will submitteth
Of God the Father most belov’d;
Such full submission me befitteth,
Would I see God to answ’ring moved;
Therefore I pray resignedly:
“Whate’er God wills, so let it be!]

10 Though Thy disciples all forget Thee,
Thou them rememb’rest faithfully;
And, when all torments then beset Thee,
Provid’st for their security:
So my pray’r vainly is pursued
If it seek not the neighbor’s good.

11 Thou winnest by Thy faithful sighing
Strength, comfort, vict’ry, glory, life:
Thou thought’st of me, thereby supplying
This grace beyond the hour of strife:
That I such blessings too may reap
When I Thine art of pray’r shall keep.

12 My Jesus, help me to pray ever,
As Thy example teaches me:
Then I’ll shrink from the Father never,
But boldly ask, and answered be:
On faithful pray’r to heav’n I’ll fly,
And thank Thee evermore on high.

Translation sts. 1–5, 8–9 J. E. Rankin, 1898.
Translation sts. 6–7, 9v, 10–12 © 2022 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

Du gehest in den Garten beten, [Du gehst zum Garten, um zu beten]
mein treuster Jesu: nimm mich mit! [O treuer…]
Laß mich an deine Seite treten,
ich weiche von dir keinen Schritt:
ich will an dir, meinm Lehrer, sehn, [Und sehen will ich andachtsvoll]
wie mein Gebete soll geschehn. [Wie man im Glauben beten soll.]

2 Du gehst mit Zittern, Zagen, Klagen [Du gehest zitternd und mit Zagen]
und bist bis in den Tod betrübt.
Ach! dies soll mir ans Herze schlagen, [Ach dieses soll ans Herz mir schlagen]
daß mir die Sünde so beliebt; [Mir, der viel Sünden ausgeübt]
drum willst du, daß ein Herz voll Reu [Du willst es, daß . . .]
mein Anfang zum Gebete sei.

3 Du reißest dich von allen Leuten; [Die Jünger müssen ferne bleiben]
du suchst die stille Einsamkeit:
so muß auch ich mich wohl bereiten, [O hilf mir, Alles zu vertreiben,]
und fliehen was mein Herz zerstreut. [Was im Gebet mein Herz zerstreut.]
Zeuch mich von aller Welt allein, [Fern sei die Welt, nimm mich allein]
daß nur wir zwei beisammen sein. [und laß nur uns b.]

4 Du knieest und wirfst dich zur Erden, [Du wirfst dich knieend hin . . .]
du fällest auf dein Angesicht: [Fällst nieder auf . . .]
so muß die Demuth sich geberden; [So soll . . .]
drum bläh ich Staub und Asch mich nicht. [wenn sich das Herz mit Gott bespricht.]
Ich lieg und schmiege mich mit dir [Tief beug ich vor ihm meinen Sinn,]
als wie das ärmste Würmchen hier. [ich, der ich Staub und Asche bin.]

5 Du betest zu dem lieben Vater, [Man sah dich in den tiefsten Schmerzen]
rufst Abba! Abba! wie ein Kind: [Also Sohn zu deinem Vater flehn]
dein Vater ist auch mein Berather;  [Ach laß auch mich mit Kindesherzen]
sein Vaterherz ist treu gesinnt. [zum liebes Vater aufwärts sehn.]
Ich halte mich getrost an dich,
und rufe: Abba! höre mich! [. . . Vater, höre mich!]

6 Du greifst voll Zuversicht und Liebe

dem Vater tief ins weiche Herz [dem treuen Vater an sein H.]
und schreist, aus tiefstem Herzenstriebe: [Du schreist aus stärkem H.]
Mein, mein, mein Abba! himmelwärts. [Abba mein Vater! h.]
Ach! Glaub und Liebe sind mir noth
sonst ist mein Beten alles tot. [. . . kalt und tot.]

7 Wie kläglich trägst du deinen Jammer [Sehr kl. . . .]
dem höchst-erzörnten Vater für!
Du klopfst mit einem starken Hammer
um Rettung an die Gnadenthür:
so klag ich auch, was mich nur quält,
und bitt um Alles, was mir fehlt.

8 Geduldigs Lamm, wie hältst du stille, [Lamm Gottes, o wie bist . . .]
und im Gebete dreimal an! [Hältst in der Bitte . . .]
Dabei ist auch für mich dein Wille, [Ich soll, das ist dein Liebeswille]
daß ich soll thun, wie du gethan. [stets also . . .]
Gott hilft nicht stets aufs erste Mal; [Hilft Gott nicht gleich wenn ich gefleht]
drauf wein und schrei ich ohne Zahl. [will ich doch halten am Gebet.]

9 Dein Wille senkt sich in den Willen
des allerliebsten Vaters ein:
darein muß ich mich auch verhüllen, [so soll auch mein Gemüth sich stillen,]
dafern ich will erhöret sein. [dann wird mein Flehn . . .]
Drum bet ich in Gelassenheit:
Was mein Gott will, gescheh allzeit.

10 Obgleich die Jünger dein vergessen,
gedenkst du doch getreu an sie; [du denkst an sie mit treuem Sinn.]
und da dich alle Martern pressen, [ . . . ob dich alle Marter p.]
sorgst du für sie mit höchster Müh: [voll Sorge gehst du dreimal hin.]
mein Beten bleibet ohne Frucht, [Mein . . .]
wenn es des Nächsten Heil nicht sucht.

11 Nun, du erlangest auf dein Flehen [Den frommen Betern wirds gelingen.]
Trost, Kraft, Sieg, Leben Herrlichkeit: [Es hörte Gott dein heißes Flehn,]
damit hast du auf mich gesehen, [und sandte, Stärkung dir zu bringen,]
daß ich zur angenehmen Zeit [den Engel von des Himmels Höhn.]
auf ernstlichs Beten freudenvoll [Auf gleiches Beten folgt auch mir]
dergleichen Segen erndten soll. [Der gleiche Segen, Herr, wie dir.]

12 Mein Jesu! hilf mir stets so beten, [Drum hilf mir, Jesu, so zu b.]
wie dein Exempel mich es lehrt: [. . . mich dein heilig Vorbild l.]
so kann ich frei zum Vater treten
und werde von ihm stets erhört: [So werd ich stets von ihm e.]
so bet ich mich zum Himmel ein [So geh ich betend himmelein,]
und will dir ewig dankbar sein.




 

No comments: