24 September 2022

Ich danke dir für deinen Tod

Here is my translation of the Passion hymn “Ich danke dir für deinen Tod” (Johann Scheffler, 1677), in Ev.-Luth. Gesangbuch #169, a devout prayer to the Crucified. Its first appearance is in the author’s Heilige Seelenlust oder Geistliche Hirtenlieder (Breslau, 1657), book 2, titled: “It [the soul] thanks the Lord Jesus for His death.” Readers will note similarity to Selnecker’s hymn “Wir danken dir für deinen Tod / Herr Jesu, und dein große Noth,” a hymn in three stanzas, though different metrically, from 1587, itself a reworking of Nicolaus Herman’s Passion hymn “Wir danken dir für deinen Tod, Herr Jesu, und solch große Noth” (Fischer, Kirchenl.-lex., p. 328).The appointed melody is variously “Aus tiefer Not” or “Es ist gewisslich,” and yet most commonly “Nun freut euch lieben Christen gmein.”

 



 

I THANK Thee for Thy death endured,
Lord Jesus, and adore Thee
For all Thy pains of heart conferred
By those who beat and tore Thee;
Grant that the merits of that pain
May for my soul refreshment gain
When death my eyelids closeth.

2 I thank Thee for Thy loving grace
Which Thou to me displayest
When Thou dost bow Thy holy face
And all my debt repayest;
Incline to me, my God, as well
When I am faced with death and hell,
Let me Thy grace be sensing.

3 My soul let in Thy favor go
From all its griefs here tasted,
That of Thy precious, costly woe
Naught may on me be wasted.
Receive my soul to heaven’s heart
Where Thou, its dearest Jesus, art,
And let me live forever.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich danke dir für deinen Tod,
Herr Jesu! und die Schmerzen,
die du in deiner letzten Noth
empfandst in deinem Herzen.
Laß die Verdienste solcher Pein
ein Labsal meiner Seelen sein,
wenn meine Augen brechen.

2 Ich danke dir für deine Huld,
die du mir hast erzeiget,
da du mit Zahlung meiner Schuld
dein Haupt zu mir genieget;
ach, neig dich auch zu mir, mein Gott!
wenn ich gerath in Todesnoth,
auf daß ich Gnade spüre.

3 Laß meine Seel in deiner Gunst
aus ihrem Leide scheiden,
auf daß an mir nicht sei umsonst
dein theuer werthes leiden.
Nimm sie hinauf zur selben Frist,
wo du ihr liebster Jesus bist,
und laß mich ewig leben.

 

No comments: