14 September 2022

Dich bitt ich, Heiland aller Welt

Here is my translation of the revised form of the Christmas & Epiphany hymn “Dich bitt ich, trautes Jesulein” (Bartholomäus Helder, d. 1635) beginning “Dich bitt ich, Heiland aller Welt,” included in Ev.-Luth. Gesganbuch in this altered form. The revised form appears to date from at least 1784, based on its attestation in a Choral-Buch of that year. In previous years, the Lunenburg hymnal had the original form with “trautes Jesulein”; the revised form replaces this in later editions of that hymnal, esp. in the 19th c. The intent, evidently, is to make the hymn relate to the increasingly emphasized idea of Presentation of Jesus over Purification of Mary, just as it is categorized in the Pennsylvania and Wisconsin hymnals. The appointed melody is “Vom Himmel hoch da komm ich her.” I include for comparison the original German and its translation by August Crull, of which I am able to preserve little more than a line.

 


THOU Savior of the world who art,
Be Thou presented to my heart,
That I may find such joy in Thee
As God in Thee prepared for me.

2 Thou art my Savior, Christ, bestowed
Upon me by the Lord my God;
O cleanse my senses, heart, and mind,
And make me just, to good inclined.

3 Show me the way, O glorious Light,
That I miss not Thy heav’nly height.
Thou art alone my Prize and Crown,
And I, Thy servant and Thine own.

4 Let not Thy peace, Lord, me forsake,
From Thee let me my eye ne’er take
Then from this world most cheerfully
I’ll go whene’er it pleaseth Thee.

Translation © 2022 Matthew Carver.

 ENGLISH (ORIGINAL)

O dearest Jesus, Thee I pray:
Within my heart now make Thy stay,
That I, like Simeon of old,
By faith may gladly Thee infold.

2 Thou art my Life and Happiness,
Whom God hath sent, my soul to bless:
O cleanse and purify my heart,
That from Thy paths I ne'er depart.

3 Lord, with Thy light show me the way,
That never I may go astray;
Ward off all sorrow and despair,
And let me be Thine own fore'er.

4 Lift up Thy face upon me, Lord,
In life and death Thy help afford;
Then I'll depart most cheerfully
This life, whene'er it pleaseth Thee.

Tr. A. Crull.

GERMAN (REVISED)

Dich bitt ich, Heiland aller Welt!
Sei meinem Herzen dargestellt,
daß ich an dir hab solche Freud,
als mir von Gott in dir bereit.

2 Weil du mein Heil und Christus bist,
der mir von Gott gegeben ist,
so reinige Herz, Sinn und Muth,
und mache mich gerecht und gut.

3 Zeig mir die Bahn, o helles Licht!
daß ich des Himmels fehle nicht.
Du bist allein mein Preis und Ruhm,
und ich dein Knecht und Eigenthum.

4 Dein Friede, Herr! verlaß mich nicht,
mein Auge sei auf dich gericht;
so will ich gern aus dieser Welt
hinfahren, wenn es dir gefällt.

 

GERMAN (ORIGINAL)

Dich bitt ich, trautes Jesulein!
Komm zu mir in das Herze mein,
Daß ich an dir hab Lust und Freud,
Wie Simeon im Tempel heut.

2. Denn du mein Heil und Leben bist,
So mir von Gott gegeben ist,
Reinge mein Herz, läutre mein Muth,
Erhalt mich auf dein Wegen gut.

3. Zeig mir die Bahn mit deinem Licht,
Daß ich ja fehl des Himmels nicht,
Wend ab von mir all Straf und Pein,
Und laß mich gar dein eigen sein.

4. Dein Antlitz sei auf mich gericht,
Im Lebn und Tod verlaß mich nicht,
So will ich gern aus dieser Welt
Zu dir wandern, wenn dirs gefällt.

 

No comments: