28 July 2024

Herr Gott, dein Angsicht nit abkehr

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Herr Gott, dein Angsicht nit abkehr” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm LV, Exaudi Deus orationem, with title “A prayer against the enemies and persecutors of the Gospel.”

 


 



LORD God, hide not Thyself, but hear
My pray’r and supplication!
The boasting foes cry loud and clear;
I shake with trepidation.
They work their will / with sin and ill,
They mock and smite, / my heart affright,
So that I see / death’s agony,
And in such pain
I know not where I may remain.

2 Oh, that I had wings like a dove,
Then would I fly up yonder,
And so escaping griefs above,
From thieving foes would wander!
Far off I would / pursue my good,
In wild terrain / at rest remain
And find defense / from violence
And windy storm;
Their tempest that would do me harm.

3 I see their evil night and day,
They cease from mischief never,
The heart must feel such great dismay
To see their vile endeavor.
They strive and toil / my life to spoil,
Deceit and guile / they work the while,
Lord, scatter them, / so that in shame
They flee the land,
Nor let their undertaking stand.

4 Were it a foe that made me groan,
And I reproach did merit,
Were it a foreigner unknown,
I patiently would bear it.
But it was he / whom previously
I treated fair, / And trusted e’er
What he did say, / with whom all day
I gladly heard
And learned with care God’s holy Word.

5 Therefore let God their forces quell,
And death become their master;
Let them go living down to hell,
Who seek their own disaster.
But I shall not / Withhold my lot;
But night and day / I’ll call and pray,
O God arise, / and hear my cries,
Deliver me!
And by His Word assured I’ll be.

6 God warns them of a dreadful fall
Who seek His saints’ undoing;
Yet they will not be changed at all,
But still their ways pursuing:
They do not fear / nor God revere,
Their tongue is slick / with many a trick,
Their words disguise / a heart of lies,
With flatt’ry lined;
They lick before and scratch behind.

7 Thy burden cast on God, and He
Will give thee strength unfailing;
Nor will leave those in misery
Forever helpless flailing;
His vengeance will / Befall them still,
And bring them down / in hell to drown;
Naught that their band / had thought and planned
Shall half succeed;
Meanwhile my comfort’s sure indeed.

¶ For this we thank Thee evermore
And own Thy grace and favor,
Who Thee as Father dear adore,
And children call us ever;
Creator-King / of everything,
With Christ Thy Son, / our Hope alone,
And th’ Holy Ghost / who what we most
Desires doth give,
Grant us forever there to live!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
HErr gott dein angsicht nit abker,
Hör mein seuffzen und klagen,
Es pocht der feind und trengt mich sehr,
Für im muß ich verzagen,
Sie brauchen tück / und böse stück
Mit angst und schmerz / schreckens mein hertz
Treiben mich gar / in todtes fahr,
In solcher qual,
Weiß ich nit wo ich bleiben sol.

2 Ach het ich flügel wie ein taub,
So schwüng ich mein gefider:
Daß ich entkommen möcht dem raub,
Und lassen mich darnider,
Gar weit von hinn, / nach meinem sinn,
In der wüstnei, / da wer ich frei,
In gutem schutz / für irem trutz,
Und wetter böß,
Für irem sturm und grossen gdöß.

3 Ich seh den frevel nacht un tag,
Wie sie nach unglück streben:
Daß einen wol verdriessen mag,
Wann sie so bößlich leben,
Müh und arbeyt / ists allezeit,
Und triegerei / on alle schew,
Ach HERR verwirr / mach sie irr,
Daß sie vergehn,
In irm fürnemen nicht bestehn.

4 Wann mich mein feind geschendet het,
Und ich zum teyl wer schuldig:
Oder mirs sunst ein frembder thet,
So wolt ich sein gedultig,
Nu thut mirs der / dem ich bißher
Hab guts gethan / und mich verlan
Auff sein zusag / mit im all tag
Das Gottes wort
Gelert hab, und mit fleiß gehort.

5 Drumb muß in auch der todt nit sparn,
Ir boßheyt an eim hauffen:
Lebendig in die Helle farn,
Die so nach unglück lauffen,
Ich aber wil / nit schweigen still,
Beyd nacht und tag / mein senlich klag
Vor Gott thun dar, / daß Er außfahr
Mich bald erlößt,
Und ich werd durch sein wort getrößt.

6 Got wirt sie stürtzen alle gar,
Die ir hand an uns legen:
Sie werden doch nicht anderst zwar,
Sie thun stedts wie sie pflegen,
Ir keynr gehorcht / in Gottesforcht,
Ir zung ist glatt, / doch alweg schadt,
Die wort sind gut / auß falschem mut,
Leugt, schmeychelt, schwatzt,
Forn leckt und krawt, doch hinden kratzt.

7 Wirff dein anligen gar auff got,
Der wirt dich wol erquicken:
Und den elenden in der not
Nicht ewig lassen stecken,
Der bösen rach / kompt auch hernach,
Verschupfft zur hell / mit ungefell,
Daß all ir ding / nit halb geling,
Was sie für han,
Mein trost dieweil bei got sol stan.

¶ Dafür wir dancken allezeit,
Und deine gnad erkennen:
Die wir in aller welt so weit,
Uns deine kinder nennen,
Du schöpffer werdt / himmels und erdt,
Und Christ dein Son, / den heyland fron,
Und Heilgen geyst, / der uns geleyst
Was wir begern,
Wöllest uns Ewig dort beschern.

No comments: