23 July 2024

Du bist dennoch, Herr Gott, mein Heil

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Du bist dennoch, Herr Gott, mein Heil” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm XXVII, Dominus illuminatio mea, with title “A psalm of supplication and preservation in God’s Word against the enemy.” The Lydian melody is built on a unique meter of 8247.8247.824777 with four sets of triple rhymes.

 





THOU art, Lord, my salvation e’er,
My share / And portion fair;
Whom shall I then be fearing?
Thou art my light, my strength of life,
So rife / In peace and strife,
My heart with boldness cheering.
Although the foe impede my way,
Assay / My flesh to slay,
Yet must the wicked nation
In their imagination
Succumb to devastation.

2 Although a host before me teem,
And seem / A fright’ning dream,
I will not heed their vaunting;
If Thou keep me in Thy defense
From hence / My confidence
Shall not in Thee be wanting.
Therefore I ask this, O my Lord:
Thy Word, / To me afford;
In mercy let it light me,
Among Thy saints invite me,
And with Thyself unite me.

3 Thou hast sweet comforts on my head
Oft spread / In troubles dread
When dangers towered o’er me;
Thou on Thy rock didst lift me high
That I / Might glad espy
How Thou art fighting for me.
For Thou, Lord God, dost hear me pray
Each day, / And art my Stay!
Therefore I’ll bow before Thee
And for Thy gifts adore Thee
In heav’n’s eternal glory.

4 Thy Word doth bid us constantly
Seek Thee / In agony
When threat and foe alarm us;
Therefore deign not to hide Thy face,
Nor place / Too far Thy grace,
Then shall their curse not harm us.
No father, mother, flesh, or blood
Do good / Against their brood,
So to our help awaken,
Lest we be all forsaken
And by the foe o’ertaken!

5 Teach us to walk Thine even way,
Nor stray / Or yet delay,
Because of foes who grieve us;
False witnesses their falsehoods bold
Have told, / As from of old;
Oh, do not to them leave us!
For those in faith who trust in Thee
Shall be / Assuredly
Shall joy in Thee their Savior
And live with Thee forever,
Which man can give them never.

¶ So let us, Lord, as fitting, praise
Thy grace / And wondrous ways,
Forever and forever,
Which Thou hast through Thy dearest Son
Made known / And to us shown
With many a gift and favor!
Thy Holy Ghost, our Comfort dear
While here, / Teach us Thy fear,
That we may ne’er defame Thee
But learn to know and claim Thee,
And as our Father name Thee!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Du bist dennoch Herr Gott mein heyl,
On feyl,
Und mein erbteyl,
Für wem solt ich mich schewen?
Du bist mein liecht und lebens krafft,
Das schafft,
Mir marck und safft,
daß ich mir nit laß grewen.
Ob auch der feind gleich einher felt,
Mir stelt,
Und auff mich helt,
So müssen doch die bösen
In irem sinn verdösen,
Können sich selbst nit lösen.

2 Ob sich ein heer rüst wider mich,
Stelt sich,
Gar grawsamlich,
So acht ich nit ir pochen:
Wann du mich heltst in deinem schutz,
Im trutz
Machest unnütz
So bin ich gnug gerochen,
Drumb bit ich dich, mein höchster hort,
Dein wort,
An disem ort,
Mir gnediglich erscheine,
In deiner heilgen gmeyne,
Mit dir im geyst vereyne.

3 Von dir kompt mir HERR Got der trost,
Du hast,
Mich offt erlost,
In diesem bösen zeiten:
Auff dienem felß erhöhest mich,
Daß ich,
Mit freuden sich,
Wie du thust für mich streiten,
Dann du HERR Got, erhörst mein klag,
All tag,
Daß ich nit zag,
Drumb wil ich dich auch loben,
Für deine grosse gaben,
Im himel hoch dort oben.

4 Dein wort lert uns in todes hitz,
Und blitz,
Wir dein antliz,
In nöten sollen suchen:
Drumb wöllst dasselb verbergen nit,
Damit
Uns stedts vertrit,
So schadt uns nit ir fluchen,
Vatter und mutter, fleysch und blut,
Nicht thut,
In nöten gut,
Drumb wöllst uns nit verstossen,
Daß wir nit wern verlassen,
Wie wasser außgegossen.

5 Für uns auff rechter ban und weg,
Dein steg,
Uns nit verleg,
Umb unser feinde willen:
Sie zeugen fälschlich one schew,
Untrew,
Ist in nit new,
Du wöllst das unrecht stillen,
Dann die im glauben lassen sich,
Auff dich,
Sölln sicherlich,
Mit dir in freuden schweben,
Und Ewig bei dir leben,
Das kan sunst niemand geben.

¶ So wölln wir deine grosse gnad,
Deinn rath,
Und wunderthat,
Rhümen und ewig loben:
Die du uns in deim lieben Son,
So fron,
Hast kundt gethon,
Geziert mit vilen gaben,
Dein Heilger geyst der tröster werdt,
Auff erd,
Uns alles lert,
Daß wir uns hie nit trennen,
Durch in dich lernen kennen,
Und unsern Vatter nennen.



No comments: