19 July 2024

Gleichwie ein Schaff im Holz verwirrt

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Gleichwie ein Schaff im Holz verwirrt” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1553), based on Psalm XXIII, Dominus regit me, with title “A psalm of consolation that God will feed, comfort, govern, protect, and bless His own.” The pleasant melody by waldis employs the unusual meter 84.44.448.

 



LIKE as a sheep in woods astray
Far from the way,
Unless ’tis seen
By shepherd keen,
That with his voice
In earnest cries,
The wolf must surely take his prize:—

2 So do we all together stand
Within God’s hand;
Our Shepherd, He
Leads pleasantly
Green meadows through,
With cooling dew
Our hearts with gladness to renew.

3 The Lord restores my soul each day
On th’ even way,
He safely guides,
No harm betides,
Nor danger there;
His watchful care
Brings glory to His name fore’er.

4 Though I traverse in shadows dim
The valley grim,
Yet fear I no
Mischance or woe,
He treateth me
Most tenderly,
His rod and staff, they comfort me.

5 He decks a table ’gainst my foes
For my repose,
Upon my head
Sweet oil doth spread,
Averts all ill,
Thinks on me still,
And to the full my cup doth fill.

6 His grace and mercy constantly
Shall follow me
For all my days,
Thus Him I praise;
All dangers fell
He doth dispel;
Forever with the Lord I’ll dwell.

¶ Praise to the Father in His throne
And to the Son
Who us from death
Redeemèd hath,
Praise also to
The Spirit true,
Whose grace and help us e’er renew.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Gleichwie ein Schaff im holtz verwirt,
Und gar verirt,
Wanns nit der Hirt,
Bald innen wirt,
Und rüffts zu im,
Mit seiner stimm,
So frißts gewiß der wolff so grimm.

2 Also seind wir auch alle sand,
In Gottes hand,
Er ist der hirt,
Uns füren wirt,
Auff grüner aw,
In külem thaw,
Daß uns die gute weyd erfraw.

3 Der HERR erquickt mein seele baß,
Auff rechter straß,
Gar sicher fürt,
Da mich nit rürt,
Kein böß gefehr,
Das selb thut Er,
Alls umb seins heilgen Namens ehr.

4 Wann ich schon wandert uberal,
Im finstern thal,
Fürcht ich doch kein
Unglück noch pein,
So stelt Er sich
Gegn mich freundtlich,
Sein steck und stab die trösten mich.

5 Hat mir gegn alle fehrligkeyt,
Einn tisch bereyt,
Mein haupt begeußt,
Mit öl das fleußt,
All unfäll lenckt,
Meinr stedts gedenckt,
Und meinen becher vol einschenckt.

6 Sein gnad, güt und barmhertzigkeyt,
Volgt mir allzeit,
Mein leben lang,
Daß ich im danck,
Er hilfft mir gar
Auß aller fahr,
Beim HERREN bleib ich immerdar.

¶ Lob sei dem Vatter in seim thron,
Und seinem Son
Der uns vom todt
Errettet hat,
Dein Heilgen geyst,
Der uns geleyst
Sein gnad, und hülff allzeit beweist.

No comments: