29 July 2024

Gleichwie der Hirsch zum Wasser bgehrt

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Gleichwie der Hirsch zum Wasser bgehrt” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm XLII, Sicut cervus, with title “A prayer against the enemy in the oppression of poor Christians.” The melody by Waldis follows the meter 847.847.827.827. In the final stanza, Waldis adds two extra syllables in lines 8 and 11 (thus 847.847 D), which in the other stanzas are 2 syllables. I have kept the usual meter for this stanza. I give the melody transposed down a couple steps.


 




LIKE as the hart doth water seek
When faint and weak,
Before the huntsman racing,
So thirsts, O God, my soul for Thee
When th’ enemy
Afflicts me without ceasing.
Oh, Lord, how long must I wait still
Until
Thy Word may give me gladness?
Until I come, O God, to Thee
And see
An end to all my sadness?

2 The foe my soul doth sting and prod:
“Where is thy God
To help thee and deliver?”
Therefore I weep, afflicted sore,
My soul outpour,
And can be silent never!
Then for deliv’rance do I cry
That I
Might hear Thy consolation
Where with glad song and thanks Thy Word
Is heard
Within Thy congregation.

3 I say to my poor soul: God is
My health and bliss,
Why wilt thou grieve ?
He is the help and confidence
Of all His saints
Who love His Word sincerely.
I think of Thee in Jordan’s land,
Thy hand
Worked wonders then to save them;
When Thou didst tread the heathen force,
A course
To Canaan’s ground it gave them.

4 As floods make tumult in the sea
Abom’nably,
The water-billows tow’ring,
So also, Lord, Thy furious wrath
Arisen hath
Like thunder to affright me.
Yet wilt Thou, Lord, Thy might display
By day
And night, and leave us never!
My life’s salvation, songs of praise
I’ll raise
To Thee both now and ever!

5 O God my Rock, I ask of Thee,
Why hast Thou me
Forgotten so completely?
The foes afflict me in distress,
And me oppress
And with presumption treat me.
Within my bones I feel their sword,
O Lord!—
Their mock’ry of Thy glory.
They say: “Where is Thy Savior God?
Their fraud
O Lord, I lay before Thee!

6 Alas, my soul, why art thou so
Beset with woe
And mak’st my heart so fearful?
Wait but a little while, I say,
Fret not away,
Have hope and be thou cheerful.
The Lord will help with succor strong:
Not long,
And He my face will brighten;
And I will give Him all my days
Due praise
Who doth my sorrow lighten.

¶ O God the Father, grant that we
To Thee may be
Forever firmly cleaving,
And Thee, in Thy beloved Son,
Our Hope alone,
Desire with heart believing;
Thy Spirit keep us in this grace,
Who place
Our trust in His defending;
So may we keep all Thou dost say
That Day
And stand in faith unbending!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Gleichwie der Hirsch zum wasser bgert,
In seiner bschwerd,
Wann in die jäger jagen,
So bgert mein seel zu dir O Gott,
In irer not,
Wann sie die feinde plagen,
Ach Herr wie lang sols weren noch,
Daß doch,
Dein wort mich möcht erfrewen,
Daß mein trübnuß ein ende nem,
Hinkem,
Dein angesicht zu schawen.

2 Es spricht der feind mir hon und spott,
Wo ist dein Got,
Der dir möcht hülff erzeygen:
So weyn ich dann mit grossem schmertz,
Und schütt mein hertz
Herauß, und kans nit schweigen,
Dann rüff ich daß ich werd erlöst,
Deinn trost
In deiner gmeyn möcht hören,
Da man mit frölichem gesang,
Mit danck,
Dein heylge wort thut leren.

3 Ich sprech zu meinr elenden seel:
Got ist mein heyl
Was wiltu dich betrüben?
Zu helffen hat er stedts gericht
Sein angesicht,
Gegn all die sein wort lieben.
Ich denck der wunder am Jordan
Gethan,
Die deinen zu erretten,
Da du die Heyden allesant,
Im Land,
Mit gwalt hast undertretten.

4 Wie die flut rauscht im roten meer
Grewlich daher,
Die grossen wasserwagen:
Also hat mich dein zorn ietzund
Für meine sünd
Mit schrecken uberzogen,
Doch wiltu HERR, beyd tag und nacht,
Dein macht
Mit gnad an uns beweisen,
Meins leben sheyl, ich wil dein ehr,
O HERR,
Loben und immer preisen.

5 Wie hastu mein O Got mein sterck,
Deinr hende werck,
So gar und gantz vergessen:
In meim elend, der feind mich drengt,
IN unglück brengt,
Und ist so gar vermessen,
In meinn beynen ists wie ein mordt,
Das wort,
Das Eer zu mir thut sagen:
Wo ist dein heyland und dein Gott?
Zu spott,
O HERR, dir muß ichs klagen.

6 Ach meine seel was quelstu mich,
So ängstiglich,
Und machst meim hertzen bange?
Verzeuch doch noch ein kleine weil,
Zu sehr nicht eil,
Und laß dich nicht verlangen,
Ich weyß, der HERR wirt helffen mir
Gar schir,
Mein antlitz gar erfrewen,
So wil ich dann mein leben lang,
Mit danck,
Sein lob allzeit vernewen.

¶ Das gib Got Vatter allezeit
Mit gnad und freud,
Daß wir stedts an dir hangen:
Nach dir in deinem lieben Son,
Dem heyland fron,
Hertziglich lan verlangen,
Dein Geyst an solcher gnad erhalt,
Und unser walt,
Wann uns die feind verklagen,
Dann laß uns an deins worts zusag
Am jüngsten tag
Bestehn, und nit verzagen.

No comments: