24 June 2024

Ich haß die Fladdergeiſter (Wohl denen die da wandeln 6/8)

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Ich haß die Fladdergeiſter,” that is, “Wohl denen die da wandeln,” part 6/8 (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXIX, Beati immaculati, 113–136 (samech-pe), Iniquos odio habui, though according to Becker’s form undivided from previous sections, with the same title “Treasure of Christians” and melody “Hilf Gott, daß mirs gelinge.”
 

 




Samech ס

57 I HATE the spirits raving,
Their doctrine I detest,
Thy Law’s my highest craving,
It brings me health and rest,
Thou art my Shield and Rock, O Lord,
I hope with full assurance
On Thy consoling Word!

58 Depart from me forever
Ye wicked who defraud,
I will abandon never
The testaments of God.
Thy Word let for my life avail;
Let me not be ashamèd,
My hope let Thou not fail.

59 Uphold me with Thy Spirit,
My life and being save,
That in Thy work and merit
I bliss and joy may have;
Thou treadest down unsparingly
Those who Thy statutes tarnish
With lies and trickery.

60 Thou puttest those who wander
Away like so much dross;
Thy testaments I honor
And love, and heed no loss;
Before Thy judgment I must quail
And in true fear must tremble.
Let not Thy mercy fail!

Ain ע

61 I truly judgment render
And justice e’er uphold;
Leave me not, my Defender,
To my oppressors bold.
Lord, for Thy servant fight
Come to my aid and comfort,
The proud oppressors smite!

62 Mine eyes for Thy salvation
Must fail in my distress;
Mine heart with consternation
Sighs for Thy righteousness.
Deal with Thy servant faithfully
According to Thy mercy,
Thy statutes teach to me!

63 I am Thy servant lowly,
So make me wise, my God,
To know Thy tokens holy,
And rightly Thee to laud.
Lord, it is time for Thee to work,
The foes Thy law have broken,
So break them where they lurk.

64 Lord, Thy commands sincerely
I love with all my heart;
All treasures shining clearly
Cannot such joy impart.
I simply to Thy precepts cleave
With all my soul despising
All false ways that deceive.

Pe פ

65 Thy testimonies wonder
Beyond all things inspire,
Upon Thy Word I ponder,
It is my soul’s desire.
The entrance of Thy Word gives light,
Brings joy and understanding,
And makes the simple bright.

66 I oped my mouth and panted
With thirst for Thy commands,
My heart would fain be planted
There where Thy glory stands.
In mercy view my humble frame,
As is Thine ancient custom
With those who love Thy name.

67 Let not my step be erring,
But lead me by Thy Word
From sin that would be stirring
And from the wicked horde,
From men’s oppression rescue me,
And I will keep Thy precepts
Forever steadfastly.

68 Lord, let Thy face shine brightly
Upon Thy servant low,
Teach me Thy statutes rightly
That heav’nly realms bestow.
When I the world’s transgressions saw,
Full many tears o’erflowed me,
For they keep not Thy Law.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Samech ס

57  Ich haß die Fladdergeiſter,
Halt ihre Lehr für Grewl,
Dein Gſetz liebt mir am meiſten,
Es bringt mir Gut und Heil,
Du biſt mein Schirm, mein Schild, mein Hort,
Ich hoffe mit Verlangen
Auf dein tröſtliches Wort.

58  Ihr boßhafftigen Leute,
Weicht von mir weit und fern,
Ich halt zu allen Zeiten
Die Zeugnis meines HErrn,
Dein Wort erhelt mich, daß ich leb,
Las mich zu Schand nicht werden,
Mein Hoffnung mir nicht fehl.

59  Dein heilger Geiſt mich ſtärcke,
Daß ich geneſen kan
Und an deinn ſchönen Wercken
Mein Luſt und Freud mög han,
Du wirſt vertilgen ohne Scheu,
Die fehlen deiner Rechte
Mit Lügn und Trügerey.

60  Du wirffſt weg die Verkehrten
Wie Schlacken von der Erd,
Drumb dein Zeugnis ich ehre,
Halt ſie im Hertzen wert,
Für deinem Recht ich mich entſetz,
Für Angſt die Haut mir ſchauret,
Sorg, daß ich´s nicht verletz.
    

Ain ע

61  Recht und Gericht allzeiten
Ich feſt und treulich halt,
Gib mich HErr nicht den Leuten,
Die an mir thun Gewalt,
Für deinen Knecht, HErr, treulich kämpff,
Komm mir zu Troſt und Hülffe,
Sonſt mich der Stolze dämpfft.

62  Sehr ſich mein Augen ſehnen
Nach deinem Heil bereit,
Mein Hertz mit Seuffzen ſtehnet
Nach deinr Gerechtigkeit,
Du treuer HErr, ob deinem Knecht
Las deine Gnade walten,
Und lehr mich deine Recht.

63  Deinn Diener ich mich nenne,
Darumb mich unterweiß,
Daß ich dich recht erkenne
Und geb dir Ehr und Preiß,
HERR thu darzu, es iſt nu Zeit,
Dein Geſetze wird zerriſſen,
Drumb deine Feind beſtreit.

64  HErr, ich bin deinn Geboten
Von Grund meins Hertzen hold,
Mehr denn allen Kleinoten
Von Edlgeſtein und Gold,
Ich halt mich ſtracks an deinn Befehl,
All falſch und irrig Wege
Haſſt feindlich meine Seel.
    

Pe פ

65  Wunderbar über Maſſen
Sind HErr die Zeugnis dein,
Dein Wort ins Hertz ich faſſe,
Feſt hälts die Seele mein,
Wenn dein Gebot wird offenbar,
Bringt´s Freud, macht klug und weiſe
Den, der einfältig war.

66  Dein Rechte ich begehre
Und thu auff meinen Mund,
Mein Hertz verlanget ſehre
Nach dir zu aller Stund,
Wend dich nim mich zu Gnaden an,
Wie du bey denen pflegeſt,
Die lieben deinen Namn.

67  Laß meinen Gang nicht irren,
Leit mich nach deinem Wort,
Damit mich nicht verwirre
Die gottloß Ketzer Rott,
Von Menſchen Frevel mich errett,
So will ich allzeit halten
Dein Zeugnis feſt und ſtet.

68  HErr laß dein Antlitz leuchten
Uber mich deinen Knecht,
Lehr mich zum Himmelreiche
Durch dein göttliches Recht,
Wenn ich ſeh, wies geht in der Welt,
Viel Thränen ich vergieße,
Daß man dein Wort nicht helt.


No comments: