26 June 2024

Ich ruf zu dir, mein Herr und Gott

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Ich ruf zu dir, mein Herr und Gott” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXX, Ad Dominum cum tribularer, with title “Against the slanderous spirit . . . A song in the higher choir” and melody assignment “In dich hab ich gehoffet, Herr.”

 



IN my distress I cry to Thee,
O Lord my God, forsake not me,
But hear me, O my Savior!
To Thee I pray,
Thy help convey,
And my poor soul deliver!

2 Restrain the lying lips with might,
That would my honor scorn and slight
With their false tongues deceiving;
That brazenly
Speak blasphemy,
With words my soul aggrieving.

3 What can be done with thee, false tongue?
Behold, thy slanders sharp have stung
Like arrows of the mighty!
Like fire they flash
And turn to ash
The juniper all lightly.

4 Oh, woe is me, that I must be
A stranger ’mongst the enemy,
Their wrath and hatred bearing,
And dwell with those
Who me oppose,
Of all good men unsparing!

5 My soul hath long endured the weight
Of dread oppression, wrath, and hate,
Of those who live in evil,
And never cease
To hinder peace,
But in all hatred revel.

6 All that may serve for rest and peace
I seek in earnest to increase,
But when I sing the praises
Of Thy dear Word,
The godless horde
Their war against me raises.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Ich ruff zu dir/ mein HEERR und Gott/
Verlaß mich nicht in meiner Noth/
Erhör mein ſehnlich Flehen/
Ich bitte dich/
Errette mich/
Hilff meiner armen Seelen.

2  Den Lügenmäulern mechtig wehr/
Die mir abſchneiden Glimpff und Ehr
Mit ihren falſchen Zungen/
Treibn ohne Schew
Wieder mich frey
Grewliche Leſterungen.

3  Was kan dir thun die falſche Zung/
Was richtet an ihr Leſterung?
Sie ſchneidt wie ſcharffe Pfeile/
Wie Fewr mit Macht
Brennt/ kniſtert/ kracht
Im Wachholdergeſteude.

4  Weh mir das ich ein Frembdling bin
Und mus erfahrn der Feinde Grimm/
Ich mus bey denen wohnen/
Die mich betrübn/
Ihrn Muthwill übn
Und keines Frommen ſchonen.

5  Es wird ja meiner Seelen lang/
Das ich mus leiden ſolchen Drang
Und bey den Leuten bleiben/
Die lebn in Haß
Ohn Unterlaß
Und keinen Frieden leiden.

6  Alles was dient zu Fried und Ruh
Mit groſſem Ernſt ich ſuchen thu/
Aber ſobald ich rede
Von deinem Wort/
Die gottloß Rott
Wieder mich Krieg erhebet.

No comments: