23 June 2024

Du thust viel Guts beweisen (Wohl denen die da leben 4/8)

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Du thust viel Guts beweisen,” that is, “Wohl denen die da wandeln,” part 4/8 (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXIX, Beati immaculati, 65–88 (teth–caph), Bonitatem fecisti, though according to Becker’s form undivided from previous sections, with the same title “Treasure of Christians” and melody “Hilf Gott, daß mirs gelinge.”

 



Teth ט

33 Thou many bounties showest
Unto Thy servant true,
Thou in Thy Word bestowest
A mercy ever new.
True faith and Christian love are shown
In Thy commandments holy,
Which are my guide alone.

34 Before I was afflicted
I wandered far astray,
Thy Word hath me convicted,
By crosses turned my way.
Thou, Lord, art good and very kind;
Teach me forever truly
Thy statutes here to mind.

35 The proud forge lies unsightly,
To take my soul apart;
I walk before Thee rightly,
Thy precepts guide my heart.
Their heart, I know, is thick as grease,
My heart in Thy commandments
Delights, and ne’er shall cease.

36 Thou by the cross dost chasten,
Thus well my heart is stirred;
It doth Thy learning hasten,
And trains me in Thy Word.
The law which from Thy mouth proceeds
Outweighs all gold and silver—
The same my fulfills my needs.

Jod י

37 Thy hands, that wrought creation,
Have fashioned me aright;
Thy Spirit’s intimation
Hath giv’n me needed light,
All those who fear Thee, God my Lord,
They will be glad to see me,
For I hope in Thy Word!

38 Thy judgments all convict me;
They righteous are, O Lord.
When sorrows sore afflict me,
I learn from Thy dear Word.
Thy mercy, which in faithfulness
Thou swarest to Thy servant,
I shall for balm possess.

39 Grant life, O Lord of heaven,
By Thy dear loving grace,
The Law, that Thou hast given
Is all my joy and bliss.
Let all the proud be put to shame,
Who with their lies oppress me;
Thy Law alone I claim.

40 Oh, might all those who fear Thee
Turn unto me as friends,
Who serve Thee and revere Thee
And know Thy testaments!
My heart make in Thy statutes sound,
That I be not ashamèd,
But firm in Thy Word found.

Caph כ

41 O Lord, Thy great salvation,
My fainting soul desires;
But hopeful expectation
Thy Word in me inspires.
Mine eyes with sorrow long to see
Thy Word, and I cry loudly:
When wilt Thou comfort me?

42 My strength is vanished wholly,
As shadows quickly flee;
Yet Lord, Thy statutes holy
Shall not forgotten be.
How shall I, Thy servant, wait
For Thou at last to save me
From those my soul who hate.

43 The proud for me are digging
A pit, that I may fall;
The traps they thus are rigging
Keep not Thy Word at all.
All Thy command are true and right,
Foes persecute me wrongly;
Help Thou me from my plight!

44 They almost came to end me;
I have no place secure.
I will to Thee commend me,
And trust Thy precepts sure.
O quicken me, Lord, graciously!
The witness Thou hast spoken
Hath never failèd me.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Teth ט

33  Du thuſt viel Guts beweiſen
Deinem getreuen Knecht,
Dein Wort gibt Maß und Weiſe,
Es lehrt uns allzeit recht,
Den wahren Glauben, chriſtlich Lieb
Deine Gebot uns zeigen,
Drin ich mich täglich üb.

34 . Eh mich der Unfall rühret,
Gieng ich weit in der Irr,
Durch Creutz dein Wort mich führet,
Daß ich wandle für dir,
Du biſt gütig und freundlich ſehr,
Deine Gebot und Rechte
Mich allzeit treulich lehr.

35  Der Gottloß Lügen tichtet,
Zu ſchaden meiner Seel,
Ich wandle für dir richtig,
Mein Hertz hält dein Befehl,
Ihr Hertz iſt dicker denn ein Schmer,
Zu halten dein Geſetze,
Hertzlich iſt mein Begehr.

36  Daß du durchs Creutz mich züchtigſt,
Iſt mir im Hertzen lieb,
Esſ lehrt mich dein Gerichte,
Macht mich im Wort geübt,
Für Silber und für rotes Gold
Liebt mir das Wort deins Mundes,
Bin ihm von Hertzen hold.
    

Jod י

37  Dein Hand hat mich bereitet,
Die alles hat gemacht,
Durch deines Geiſts Geleite
Nem ich dein Gſetz in Acht,
Die dich halten für ihren Hort,
Sehn an mir ihre Frewde,
Denn ich hoff auff dein Wort.

38  Recht ſind all dein Gerichte,
Das weiß ich, HErr, fürwahr,
Wenn mich die Trübſal züchtigt,
So lern ich immerdar,
Dein Gnade kömpt mir wol zu Troſt,
Die du in rechter Trewe
Deim Knecht verſprochen haſt.

39  HErr friſte mir das Leben
Durch dein Barmherzigkeit,
Das Gſetz, das du uns geben,
Iſt meine Luſt und Freud,
Zu Schanden werd die ſtolze Rott,
Die mich mit Lügen drücket,
Ich red von deinem Wort.

40  Ach daß doch zu mir kemen
Alle, die fürchten dich,
Die deine Zeugnis kennen,
Dienen dir williglich.
Mein Hertz für dir ohn Wandel ſey,
Ich werde nicht zuſchanden,
Wenn ich beym Wort nur bleib.
    

Caph כ

41  Mein Seel tregt groß Verlangen,
HErr Gott, nach deinem Heil,
Hoffnung hat mich umbfangen,
Dein Wort komt mir zutheil,
Mein Augen ſchmerzlich ſehnen ſich
Nach deinem Wort, ich ſpreche:
Wenn wirſtu tröſten mich?

42  Mein Krafft mich gar verleſſet,
Ich geh her wie ein Schein,
Dennoch ich nicht vergeſſe,
HErr GOtt, der Rechte dein,
Wie lang ſoll warten ich, dein Knecht,
Daß du von meinen Feinden
Mir endlich hilffſt zurecht?

43  Die ſtoltze Rott mir grebet
Ein Grube zum Unfall,
Dein Wort ſie ſolchs nicht lehret,
Verbeut diß überall,
Warheit und Recht ſind dein Gebot,
Die Feinde auff mich liegen,
Hilff mir aus dieſer Noth

44  Sie bringn mich ſchier umbs Leben,
Bin ſichr an keinem Ort,
Dir ich mich ganz ergebe,
Verlaß mich auff dein Wort,
Erquick mich HErr durch deine Gnad,
Das Zeugnis deines Mundes
Niemals gefeilet hat.



No comments: