29 June 2024

Herr, mein Gemüth und Sinn du weißt

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Herr, mein Gemüth und Sinn du weißt” (Cornelius Becker, d. 1604), based on Psalm CXXXI, Domine non est exaltatum, with title “Simple faith of the best . . . A song of David in the higher choir” and melody assignment “Aus tiefer Noth schrei ich zu dir.”

 



O LORD, my heart and mind Thou know’st,
Thou see’st I am not haughty;
Mine eyes betray no lofty boast,
Pride hath not me wholly caught me;
My face is not ashamed for Thee,
I search not what’s too high for me,
Nor look into great matters.

2 My heart longs for Thy Word alone,
My soul for Thee is yearning,
Like as a child whose cry is known,
His mother near discerning;
Unless my soul finds mercy mild,
It is alarmed like as a child,
That for his mother crieth.

3 So hope in God the Lord indeed,
Upon His grace depending!
Who trusts in God in every need
Must triumph at the ending.
Believe, dear saints of Israel,
God doth thy pain and woe dispel,
And turn to life eternal!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Herr, mein Gemüth und Sinn du weiſt,
Daß ich nicht bin vermeſſen,
Ich hab kein hochtrabenden Geiſt,
Stoltz hat mich nicht beſeſſen,
Für dir ſchämbt ſich mein Angeſicht,
Was mir zu ſchwer erforſch ich nicht,
Seh nicht nach hohen Dingen.

2  Mein Hertz ſehnt ſich nach deinem Wort,
Mein Seel nach dir verlanget,
Gleichwie ein Kind der Mutter fort
An ihren Brüſten hanget,
Wo meine Seel nicht Troſt empfindt,
So thuts ihr bang, gleichwie dem Kind,
Das die Mutter entwehnet.

3  Darumb hoff nur getroſt auff Gott,
Verlas dich auff ſein Gnade,
Wer Gott vertrawt in aller Noth,
Dem muß zuletzt gerathen,
Traw feſt du liebes Iſrael,
Gott wendt dein Leid und Ungefell
Itzt und zu ewign Zeiten.

No comments: