30 September 2024

Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn (part 6)

 Here is the sixth part of my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXIX,  Beati immaculati, with title “A psalm of supplication, that God would lead us in His saving Word and grace and curb the enemy.” Waldis composed his hymn with one stanza for every alphabetical section, making 22 stanzas in all. To make it manageable on a daily basis, I have divided into multiple parts (as done by Schütz with Becker’s Psalm CXIX), the sixth part consisting of stanzas 17–19 (pe, tzaddi, qoph). The Ionian melody by Waldis, having the meter 887.887.87.87.84.48 is upbeat and accommodates the longer format well without insipid repetition. The meter is also used for Psalm CIV.


 



17 How wondrous, Lord, Thy test’mants are!
When shines Thy Word forth like a star,
Its gladdens all the lowly.
Draw near, be my defense and guide,
Deliver me from human pride.
Grant me Thy mercy holy.
My steps make certain in Thy Word,
Let me therein walk ever,
Like as Thou keep’st in strength assured
Those who love Thee, their Savior.
Thy light Thou dost to us allot;
Therefore I grieve
Where I perceive
That men Thy Law and Word keep not.

18 Thou righteous art, right is Thy Word,
Thy testaments by Thee conferred,
And truth Thou hast commanded;
Zeal hath consumed me nigh to death
Because they have forgotten faith,
Thy Word and mercy splendid.
I wretched am, despised and small,
Grief and distress o’ertake me;
Yet I will trust Thy Word through all,
From grace shall nothing shake me.
Therefore teach me Thy righteousness
My life ’twill be,
I’ll live to Thee,
Abiding in Thy Word of grace.

19 With all my heart I cry, O Lord,
Receive my pray’r, Thy help afford,
To keep Thy statutes ever!
I cry to Thee, and early wake,
By Thy just judgments make me quick,
My cause support and favor.
The wicked wish to capture me,
Far from Thy Law declining;
Lord, Thou art near, and help’st me be
Safe from their false designing;
For Thee I have no peace no rest.
I know Thy Word
Is undeterred,
Forever firm is Thy behest.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

17 Dein zeugniß HERR sind wunderbar,
Und wann dein wort wirt offenbar,
Erfrewets die Ellenden,
Wend dich zu mir, und sei mein schutz,
Erlöß mich von der menschen trutz,
Dein gnad wöllst zu mir wenden.
In deim wort mach gewiß meinn gang,
Mich stedts darinn mög üben,
Gleichwie du heltst in deinem zwang,
Die deinen Namen lieben,
Dein liecht hast uns hell fürgestelt,
Drumb thut mirs weh,
Wo ich hin geh,
Daß man dein gsetz und wort nicht helt.

18 Du bist gerecht, recht ist dein wort,
Dein zeugniß hast gebotten hart,
Und warheyt zu betrachten,
Hab mich geeiffert schier zu todt,
Daß sie dein lauter wort und gnad
Vergessen und verachten,
Ob ich gleich bin ellend und gring,
Mich angst und not hat troffen,
Doch wil ich gantz und aller ding
Auffs wort deinr gnaden hoffen,
Drumb lere mich dein grechtigkeyt,
Mich drein begeb,
Und dir geleb,
An deim wort bleib in Ewigkeyt.

19 Von gantzem hertzen schrei ich HERR,
Hilff mir, und mein gebet erhör,
Daß ich dein zeugniß halte:
Ich schrei zu dir, und frü auffwach,
Erquick mich, deinen Rechten nach,
Selbst meiner sachen walte,
Die boßhafftigen wölln mir zu,
Sind fern von deim Gesetze,
HERR, du bist nah, drumb hilffestu,
Daß mich ir lehr nicht letze.
Nach dir hab ich keyn rhu noch rast,
Ich weyß fürwar,
Ist offenbar,
Dein wort Ewig gegründet hast.






No comments: