10 September 2024

Zum Herrn schrei ich mit meiner Stimm

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Zum Herrn schrei ich mit meiner Stimm” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXLII, Voce mea ad Dominum, with title “It is the previous psalm of supplication.” This, Waldis’s second paraphrase of the psalm, is at once more typical metrically and more intimately related to his circumstances by a more spiritual interpretation. The balanced Aeolian melody by Waldis supports well his text composed in the meter 887.887.8877 (AABCCBDDEE). Unfortunately, it is one of those missing from Heugel’s Tenor part book, though a talented musician familiar with Heugel’s other settings might conceivably reconstruct it from a synoptic use of the Discant, Altus, and Bassus books.

 



UNTO the Lord I voiced my cry,
I said, Receive my suppliant sigh
Which now I make before Thee!
When in the straits my spirit stood,
Thou gavest me Thy quick’ning good.
Prevent, Lord, I implore Thee,
My foes, who doctrine false purvey,
And many snares about me lay,
With guile they have arrayed them:
How shall I e’er evade them?

2 I look around both far and near
To right and left, but none appear
Who friendship will supply me.
The praise of works they teach to me:
That I myself should godly be,
And from Thy Word would pry me.
Therefore I seek Thee with my heart,
And say: Lord, Thou my refuge art,
My portion to me giving,
With those forever living.

3 Attend, O Lord, I Thee implore!
By them I am afflicted sore.
Oh, from their rage relieve me!
Deliver me, O Lord on high,
From those who stronger are than I,
That I may praises give Thee.
When this the righteous souls shall see,
That I have holpen been by Thee,
They shall in faith surround me
And praise Thy grace that found me.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Zum HERRN schrei ich mit meiner stimm,
Ich sprich, HERR GOtt mein bitt vernimm,
Mein klag vor dir außschütte,
Wann mein geyst in den engsten stickt,
So bist dus HERR der mich erquickt,
Hilff daß mich nit zerrütte
Mein feind der mir mit falscher lehr,
Vil stricke legt runds umb mich her,
Mit heuchelei umbziehen,
Ich kan im nit entfliehen.

2 Ich schaw umbher beyd nah und weit,
Zur rechten und zur lincken seit,
Da wil mich niemand kennen:
Sie lehren mich der wercke rhum,
Sol durch mich selber werden frum,
VOn deim Wort abzutrennen,
Drumb ist mein gbet zu dir gericht,
Sprech: HERR, du bist mein zuversicht,
Mein theyl wirstu mir geben,
Mit den die Ewig leben.

3 Merck auff HERR, laß dirs sein geklagt,
Ich werd gar sehr von in geplagt,
Hilff mir von irem toben:
Für mich auß nöten, angst und pein,
Von den die mir zu mechtig sein,
Auff das ich dich mög loben,
Wann solchs die grechten werden sehn,
Daß mir von dir ist hülff geschehn,
Werdens sich zu mir halten,
Und deine güt lan walten.

No comments: