05 September 2024

Herr, schaff mir recht in meinr Unschuld

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Herr, schaff mir recht in meinr Unschuld” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), Psalm XXVI, Judica me Deus, with title “A supplication for protection, and that God will defend us from offense.” The melody by Waldis follows the meter 8787447447, a meter already existing in the famous Reformation hymn, “Durch Adams Fall ist ganz verderbt.” The Wölfenbüttel exemplar does not not an alternate tune. Zahn seems to misinterpret the slurs at the cadence of the bar, where in his version the prepenult ought to have the quarter note G, and the penult a slur with the quarter notes A-Bb and the whole note G. This seems to be supported by Heugel’s tenor line, though this shows rhythmic departures elsewhere, as usual. To avoid the high F I give the melody transposed down slightly.

 

 

 
 
LORD, judge me in mine innocence,
And do not Thou forsake me,
Thou know’st mine heart; grant patient sense,
Upon the right way take me.
Keep by Thy grace my earthly race
Which here on earth I’m running.
Let me not stray from Thy right way,
Nor e’er the truth be shunning!

2 Yea, I will have no fellowship
With vain men and ungodly,
Who fain from Thee my soul would keep,
And Scripture twist most badly.
They act as though they are no foe,
Adorned with works fair gleaming,
But inwardly hypocrisy
And evil deeds are teeming.

3 From this defend me, dearest Lord,
In innocence protect me,
And keep me in Thy flawless Word,
And to the place direct me
Where Thy men e’er Thy Word declare,
And preach alone Thy glory,
For these I love, and e’er would prove
The truth of sacred story.

4 Let not my soul be torn away
With the princes ’gainst Thee speaking,
Nor fall to ruin and dismay
With those who blood are seeking,
Who mischief work / and gladly lurk
In darkness and deceiving,
Who seek their gain / and flee from pain,
In gifts and bribes believing.

5 But I in innocence will walk;
Oh, help me and be gracious!
Grant me to trust in Thee, my Rock,
And charity most precious.
In faith my foot / plant firm and root,
Lest I forsake Thee ever.
My mouth empow’r / at every hour
To praise Thy grace and favor.

¶ So help me, God omnipotent,
Thou Maker of creation;
When we cry out in our distress,
And grant us Thy salvation
Through Christ Thy Son, / who for us won
Thy pledge of grace forever,
Thy Spirit’s arm / keep us from harm,
And sin and all disfavor.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
HErr schaff mir recht in meinr unschuldt,
Ach wöllst mich nit verlassen,
Du kennst mein hertz, gib mir gedult,
Für mich an rechter strassen,
Durch deine güt / mich, HERR, behüt,
Auff deinem weg zu bleiben,
Daß nicht das böß / gotloß gedöß
Mich von der warheyt treiben.

2 Weil ich doch nit geminschafft hab
Mit den unnützen leuten,
Die mich von dir wölln wenden ab,
Die schrifft gar fälschlich deuten,
Das sind die gselln, / die sich fein stelln,
Mit wercken für dir schmucken,
Bedecken frei, / durch gleißnerei,
Ir list in bösen stucken.

3 Dafür behüt mich Got mein hort,
In unschuld meiner hende:
Halt mich zu deinem reynen Wort,
Und für mich an das ende,
Da man verkündt / dein wort all stund,
Und predigt deine ehre,
Welch ich hab lieb, / mich stedts drinn üb,
Solchs ist die rechte lere.

4 Daß nit mein seel werd hingerafft,
Mit den gotlosen Fürsten,
Von dir, mit den nit werd gestrafft,
Die stedts nach blute dürsten,
Auch darnach stehn / und gern umbgehn
Mit list und bösen rencken,
Suchen irn schutz / und eygen nutz,
In gaben und geschencken.

5 Ich abern wandel in unschuldt,
Hilff mir und biß mir gnedig:
Gib glauben, hoffnung und gedult,
In rechter lieb mach thetig,
Und warer buß, / daß nit mein fuß,
Abweich von deinen wegen,
So sol mein mund / zu aller stund
Deins lobs und preises pflegen.

¶ Des hilff uns allmechtiger Got,
Du schöpffer aller dinge:
Wann wir rüffen in unser not,
Daß uns nit misselinge,
Durch deinen Son, / in dem wir hon,
Dein zusag aller gnaden,
Deins geystes güt, / uns stedts behüt,
Vor Sünd und allem schaden.

No comments: