29 September 2024

Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn (part 5)

Here is the fifth part of my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXIX,  Beati immaculati, with title “A psalm of supplication, that God would lead us in His saving Word and grace and curb the enemy.” Waldis composed his hymn with one stanza for every alphabetical section, making 22 stanzas in all. To make it manageable on a daily basis, I have divided into multiple parts (as done by Schütz with Becker’s Psalm CXIX), the fifth part consisting of stanzas 14–16 (nun, samech, ain). The Ionian melody by Waldis, having the meter 887.887.87.87.84.48 is upbeat and accommodates the longer format well without insipid repetition. The meter is also used for Psalm CIV.


 



14 Thy Word let be my lamp and light
That I may lead my life aright,
Nor from Thy judgments waver.
Mine off’ring pleasing be to Thee,
The praise and thanks receive from me,
Thy Word let rule me ever.
The wicked lay in every place
A snare wherewith to take me;
Show me the vision of Thy grace,
Or they their prey shall make me.
Let me not from Thy Word depart,
My portion fair
It is fore’er,
The guide and gladness of my heart.

15 All doctrine false and vanity
I hate and flee continually,
From that, O Lord, defend me!
Break down all their ungodliness,
Root out their lies and guilefulness,
Those who would fain offend me.
I fear, O Lord,Thy judgment just,
I hold Thy Word with trembling;
Leave not ashamed in Thee my trust,
Let hope not be dissembling,
Let not my comforts futile prove;
Hold Thou me by
Thy Word on high,
Thy testimonies, Lord, I love!

16 Since I Thy judgments love, O Lord,
Give me not to the wicked horde,
The proud men and oppressors.
Thy servant represent, console,
Protect, guide, teach, for him control
The powerful transgressors—
Those who Thy Law have thrust from sight,
And Thy commands forsaken.
Keep me, Lord, in the path upright
I hate all false ways taken,
That I may love Thy Law divine
And may it hold
Above all gold!
For Thee, O God, I long and pine.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

14 Laß dein wort sein mein leucht und liecht,
Daß ich mein leben darnach richt,
Stedts deine recht zu halten,
Mein opffer laß gefallen dir,
Das lob und danck nimm an von mir,
Dein wort laß meiner walten.
Die Gottlosen legen mir strick,
Ich trag ietz feyl mein leben.
Erzeyg mir deiner gnaden plick,
Ich werd sunst hingegeben.
Hilff daß ich von deim wort nit weich,
Es ist mein Erb,
Darnach ich werb,
Daß ich daran bleib Ewiglich.

15 All unbestendig falsche lehr,
Die hass und flieh ich immermer,
Wöllst mich davor behüten,
Ir Gottloß wesen HERR zertrit,
Ir lügen, triegerei zerrüt,
Ir Tyrannei und wüten,
Ich förcht mich HERR vor deim gericht,
Für deim wort mich entsetze.
Laß mich zuschanden werden nicht,
Zur hoffnung mich ergetze.
Laß mein hoffen nicht sein umb sunst,
Erhalt durchs wort
Mich hie und dort,
An deinem Recht hab ich mein lust.

16 Dein Recht und zeugniß hab ich lieb,
Drumb mich auch HERR nicht ubergib
Den stolzen und Gottlosen,
Vertrit und tröste deinen knecht,
Schütz, leyt, und lehr, halt mich bei recht,
Vorm gwaltigen und bösen.
Die dein gesetz zerrissen han,
Und dein gebott verlassen.
Erhalt mich HERR auff rechter ban,
Alln falschen weg mög hassen,
Auff das ich lieb dein Göttlich gbott,
Halts theur und hold,
Ubr alles goldt,
Ich sehn mich stedts nach dir O Gott.





No comments: