04 September 2024

Es ruft die arme Christenheit

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Es ruft die arme Christenheit” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm LXXXVIII, Domine Deus, with title “A psalm of supplication that God would console in all tribulation, fear of His wrath, terror, and sickness.” The Phrygian melody by Waldis follows the meter 847.847.88.47.47; though Waldis seems inadvertently have to departed from his meter, or to have altered it incompletely, so that stanzas 1–3 in their last four lines fit this meter, while the remaining stanzas (ending 44.77) do not. I have normalized these in my translation so that all can be sung to the melody. As usual, Heugel shows some rhythmic changes in his melody for the Tenor line.

 



POOR Christendom to God doth  cry
In misery,
With great distress and sorrow,
That He might help and grace supply!
Thus mournfully
She wails both eve and morrow:
O God, incline Thine ear to me,
My pray’r let come, O Lord, to Thee,
My soul doth sigh,
Is full of tribulation
And life draws nigh
To hellish condemnation!

2 I’m counted with those whom Thy wrath
Sendeth down
To hell and condemnation,
As he that ne’er a helper hath,
And must drown
For want of all salvation,
Whom Thou rememberest no more,
Cut off from Thee, afflicted sore,
In th’ lowest pit;
Thou hast, O Lord, thus made me
In darkness sit
And in the deeps hast laid me.

3 Thy wrath and ire, which mighty are,
Hard on me lie,
With all Thy waves oppressing;
Thou putt’st away my friends afar,
From me they fly,
And fear my state distressing.
Thou hast made me abom’nable,
I am shut up, despised by all,
And mis’ry see
On every side abounding,
And agony
Without escape surrounding.

4 My face is piteous to behold,
My hands to Thee
Therefore I stretch out, calling:
In grief I grow untimely old.
Grace hides from me
In my distress appalling!
I know Thou dost no wondrous work
To dead men where the shadows lurk,
And there are none
Who in the tomb men bury,
Which rise and own
Thy praises and Thy glory.

5 Men speak not of Thy graciousness
Below the grave,
Nor tell Thy faithful doing;
Thy wonders they do not express
Whom judgment drave
To darkness and to ruin.
Thy godly righteousness is not
Made known nor to men’s knowledge brought,
There in that land
Where all is dead and rotten,
And naught can stand,
And all things are forgotten.

6 But unto Thee, O Lord, I pray;
My Savior, hear
My early pray’r appealing!
Why castest Thou my soul away,
Nor wilt appear,
Thy face from me concealing?
I am afflicted, wretched, weak,
Because Thou dost refrain to speak;
Thus I despair,
Each day prepared for dying,
Thy terrors bear
And in them fast am lying.

7 Beneath Thy fright’ning wrath I’m found;
Thy terrors grim
Weigh hard and sore oppress me.
Like water do they me surround,
I cannot swim,
But drown as they embrace me.
Thou makest me a mockery
To all my friends, they flee from me
With all their kin;
Because Thou, Lord, dost grieve me;
Cut off from men,
O Lord, do not thus leave me!

¶ Then sing Thee songs of praise I will,
And hymnody
In faith be ever sounding,
When Thou shalt make an end of ill,
And let me see
Thy mercy so abounding.
Through Jesus Christ, Thine only Son,
Who with Thee in Thy highest throne
Among Thy host
Art Lord of earth and heaven,
With th’ Holy Ghost,
To whom be glory given!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Es rüfft die arme Christenheyt,
In irer not,
Im ellend und mit schmertzen,
Umb hilff, gnad und barmhertzigkeyt,
Und schreit zu got,
Kleglich also von hertzen:
Gott mein heyland, neyg dich zu mir,
Mein gbet laß kommen HERR zu dir,
Es hat keyn frist,
Mein seel und auch mein leben,
Für jamer ists
Der hellen ubergeben.

2 Ich bin gerechnet under die,
So in deim zorn
Hinab zur hellen faren:
Wie ein man der keyn hülff hat hie,
Und gar verlorn,
Als die erschlagen waren,
Dern du gedenckest nimmermehr,
Von deinr hand abgesondert ferr,
Lig tod im grab,
Tieff in die gruben gstossen
Zur helln hinab,
Im finsternuß verlssen.

3 Mich druckt dein zorn und grimm so groß,
Und hart bedrengt,
Mit allen deinen flüten:
Mein freunde lassen mich trostloß,
Ein jeder denckt,
Wie sie sich vor mir hüten,
Du hast mich in zum grewel gmacht,
Ich lig gefangen gar veracht,
Mich denckts ellend
An allem end,
In jamer und beschwerden,
Und weyß nicht loß zu werden.

4 Gar jämerlich ist mein gestalt,
Drumb ich außbreyt,
Mein hend zu dir mit schreien,
Im Ellend werd ich graw und alt,
Vor grossem leyd,
Doch wilt nit gnad verleihen,
Ich weyß du thust keyn wunderthat,
An den die man begraben hat.
Auch wirt ir keynr,
Die gstorben sein, [auff stehen, und dich loben]
Auff stehen, und dich loben, [die gstorben sein,]
Und preisen deine gaben. [noch preisen deine gaben.]

5 Man wirt in gräbern deine gnad
Erzelen nicht,
Und dein trew im verderben:
Sie ehrn auch nicht dien wunderthat,
Die durchs gericht,
Im finsterniß solln sterben,
dein Göttliche gerechtigkeyt
Wirt nicht erkandt noch außgebreyt,
Auch an dem endt,
Da alles wendt,
Vor leng der zeit verfressen,
Gestelt wirt ins vergessen.

6 Abr ich schrei HERR zu dir mein heyl,
Und meine bitt,
Kompt frü zu dir am morgen:
Warumb verstößstu meine seel,
Und wilt mein nit,
Dein antlitz hast verborgen?
Ich bin onmechtig und ellend,
Weil du dich hast von mir gewwendt,
Daß ich verzag
Schier alle tag,
Ich leid dein schweres schrecken,
Und bleib darinn bestecken.

7 Dein grimm schreckt und dringt mich in fahr,
Dein grosser zorn,
Mich hart drucken und zwingen:
Wie wasser mich umbgeben gar,
Und bin verlorn,
Weil sie mich gar umbringen.
Meinn freunden machstu mich zum spott,
Daß mich verleßt ir gantze Rott,
Stehn fern von mir,
Weil ich von dir,
Ins ellend bin verstossen,
HERR, wöllst mich nicht verlassen.

¶ So wil ich dir ein freuden spil,
Und lobgesang,
Im glauben lan erschallen:
Wann du dem unfal setzst ein zil,
Mich in dem zwang
Von dir nit leßst entfallen,
Durch JEsum Christum deinen Son,
Der mit dir in deim höchsten thron
Sitzt und regiert
Himel und erdt,
Mit heylgem geyst eintrechtig,
Dir gleich, weiß, gütig, mechtig.


No comments: