06 September 2024

Hilf deinen Knecht, schaff Recht

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Hilf deinen Knecht, schaff Recht” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm LIV, Deus in nomine, with title “Psalm of supplication for deliverance against the unjust enemies and tyrants.” The composition is remarkable for its number of 2, 3 and 4-syllable half-lines. The Phrygian melody by Waldis subtly interweaves the short half-lines into longer, fluid phrases so that the sense rather than the rhyme is emphasized.

 




GOD, save me now! / Judge Thou
Aright;
The godless fight
And with their war distress me;
Lord, hear me grieve, / Perceive
My cry,
That I not die,
While now the foes oppress me
And slight / Thy might,
And scowl fierce / To pierce
Thy Christian host,
And boast
That none will help or bless me.

2 Lord, save Thou me! / Set free
My heart
From pain and smart;
Uphold my soul and bear it!
Preserve, O Lord, / Thy Word
And name,
Which we acclaim;
Let us Thy pledge inherit!
This day / Repay
With all pain / Their vain
Deceit and sin,
Charge in,
And cool their haughty spirit!

3 Then Thee I’ll praise / Always,
Set free
From agony,
I’ll give Thy name the glory,
Who dost redeem / From shame
And wilt
Cleanse me from guilt,
To live by grace before Thee.
Thus I / Shall spy
My desire, / And fire
Of vengeance fall
On all
My foes who still deplore Thee.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Hilff deinen Knecht, / schaff Recht,
O Got; / der gotloß hat
Sich wider mich gerüstet!
Merck auff mein stimm, / vernimm
Mein klag, / daß ich nit zag,
Wann sich der feind auffbrüstet,
Dein macht / veracht,
Grewlich trutzt, / auffmutzt
Seinn stoltzen mut, / und thut
An mir was in gelüstet.

2 HERR steh mir bei, / mach frei
Mein hertz / vor solchem schmertz;
Wöllst meine seel erhalten!
Bewar O Herr / dein ehr;
dein wort, / welchs wir gehort,
Laß dapffer in uns walten;
Diß mal / bezal
Ir boßheyt / mit leyd,
Stürtz iren pracht / mit macht,
Und laß irn mut erkalten.

3 So sol mein mund / zu stund,
Gefreit / auß solchem leyd,
Deinn namen hoch erheben,
Daß du mich tröst, / erlöst
Auß pein, / durch güte dein,
Erheltst mich bei dem leben,
Daß ich / auch sich [=seh]
All mein lust; / so must
Die rach geschehn / an den,
Die mir stedts widerstreben.

No comments: