28 September 2024

Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn (part 4)

Here is the fourth part of my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Wohl denen, die ohn Wandel gehn” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXIX,  Beati immaculati, with title “A psalm of supplication, that God would lead us in His saving Word and grace and curb the enemy.” Waldis composed his hymn with one stanza for every alphabetical section, making 22 stanzas in all. To make it manageable on a daily basis, I have divided into multiple parts (as done by Schütz with Becker’s Psalm CXIX), the fourth part consisting of stanzas 11–13 (caph, lamed, mem). The Ionian melody by Waldis, having the meter 887.887.87.87.84.48 is upbeat and accommodates the longer format well without insipid repetition. The meter is also used for Psalm CIV.


 



11 My soul for Thy salvation faints,
Thy Word’s my hope and confidence,
In long for it in sorrow.
I’m like a bottle in the smoke,
For anguish on my tears I choke,
When comes my fateful morrow?
Lord, when wilt Thou Thy judgment bring
Upon these proud defiers?
They dig their pits, they prick and sting
As heretics and liars.
oh, quicken me, Lord, in Thy grace!
I cling to Thee,
Thou helpest me,
So shall no ill my soul disgrace!

12 Lord, since Thy Word abides for aye
O’er heav’n and earth, rejoice I may;
All things are Thy creation.
All stands according to Thy Word,
All to Thy glory undeterred
Serves Thee within its station.
Unless Thy Law were my delight,
I would have perished surely
When the ungodly wound me tight
And set their cords securely.
The end of all that is I’ve seen;
But Thy dear Word
Consoles me, Lord;
Forever shall Thy Law remain.

13 Thy Word I love and glorify,
It makes me wise and clear of eye,
Therefore I keep it ever,
It is my treasure high and dear,
Such understanding as found here
The ancients boasted never.
Upon the right way I abide,
To Thy command adhering;
Thy testament from none I hide,
I hate all byways veering.
Thy Word is sweet unto my taste,
Dispels all grief,
Brings great relief,
Hath from my heart all sorrows chased.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

11 Mein seel verlangt nach deinem heyl,
Ich hoff dein wort werd mir zu theyl,
Ich sehn mich in dem leiden:
Ich bin gleichwie ein haut im rawch,
Vor angst verdorret wie ein schlauch,
Wie lang sol ich noch beyten?
HERR, wann wiltu halten Gericht
Uber die stoltzen buben?
Mit lügen un dmit falschem gdicht,
Graben sie mir ein gruben.
Nach deiner gnad mich HERR erquick,
Ich halt an dir,
Du hilffest mir,
Das mich das unglück nicht erstick.

12 HERR, dein wort bleibet Ewiglich,
Ubr himl und Erd, des frew ich mich,
All ding sind dein geschäffte,
Es bleibt alles nach dienem wort,
Es dient dir alls, an allem ort,
Erhalten durch dem kreffte.
Wer dein gsetz nicht mein trost gewest,
In not wer ich vergangen,
Da mich der Gottloß hett so fest
Mit seinem strick umbfangen,
Ich hab alls dings ein end gesehn,
Doch tröst mich sehr
Dein wort und lehr,
Dein gbot Ewiglich wirt bestehn.

13 Dein wort ich lieb, geb im den preis,
Es macht mich klug, verstendig, weiß,
Drumb wil ichs allweg halten,
Es ist mein schatz, hoch, theur und wert,
Es macht mich reich und hochgelert,
Bin klüger dann die alten.
Darumb ich halte dein befehl,
Bleib auff der rechten strasse.
Dein zeugniß ich niemandt verheel,
Alln falschen weg ich hasse,
Dein wort ist süß in meinem mund,
Vertreibt all leyd,
Bringt grosse freud,
Mein hertz machts frölich alle stund.




No comments: