09 September 2024

Mit lauter Stimm schrei ich, vernimm

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Mit lauter Stimm schrei ich, vernimm” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXLII, Voce mea ad Dominum, with title “A psalm of supplication for help and assistance against the enemy.” For this first paraphrase of two by Waldis, he provides stanzas of mostly short half-lines in the meter 44.44.44.48. Unfortunately, Heugel’s Tenor line is missing (along with a few others that were evidently in adjacent leaves in the 140s of the Psalms. I prove Zahn’s version of the melody transposed down a fifth, along with my less pronounced transposition.

 




ALOUD I cry,
O Lord on high!
Receive my plea,
Hear graciously
The words I pray;
Lord, help convey,
Do Thou the best,
O God, and grant me my request!

2 God, look below!
In grief and woe,
My sorrow sore
I freely pour
And show to Thee;
In agony
I almost faint;
Hear this, Lord God, my heart's complaint!

3 My spirit, Thou
Dost know, doth bow
With trouble’s weight;
Those who me hate
Work villainy,
Lay snares for me
Upon the way
Wherein I walk, my course to stay.

4 All round I see
Great treachery:
My friend turns foe,
None will me know;
My hopes have failed,
I am assailed,
Nor can I flee,
And no man comes to rescue me.

5 Lord, hear my cry,
To Thee I sigh,
My Refuge sure!
Let me procure
Thy succor still;
My longing fill,
An answer give
To what I ask while here I live!

6 O God, how low
I bend with woe,
Afflicted sore
By fiends who war!
Deliver me
From th’ enemy
That round me cry,
For they far stronger are than I.

7 My soul release
From its duress,
That so I may
Gives thanks this day,
And jointly come
With Christendom
To worship Thee,
Who dealest bountif’lly with me.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Mit lauter stimm
Schrei ich, vernimm
O HERR mein klag,
Hör was ich sag,
Ich fleh vor dir,
Ach HERR, hilff mir,
Und meine bitt
Wöllstu O Gott verwerffen nit.

2 Ach HERRE Gott,
Mein angst und not
Und meinn verdrieß
Ich gar außgieß,
Und dir anzeyg,
Ich bin so feyg,
Und gar verzagt,
Das sei dir HERR mein Gott geklagt.

3 Ach HERR du weyst
Wie daß mein geyst
Ist gar betrübt,
Weil der feind übt
An mir sein tück,
Und legt mir strick
Auff deinem weg,
Daß Er mir meinen gang verleg.

4 Wohin ich schaw,
Da ist untraw.
Sind abgetrent,
Niemandt mich kent,
Werd angesprengt,
Und hart gedrengt,
Kan nit davon,
Und nimpt sich meiner niemand an.

5 HERR, dir ichs klag,
Ich schrei und sag:
Mein zuversicht
Bistu, drumb richt
Dien hilff zu mir,
Daß nit mein bgir
Werd gnommen hin,
Weil ich noch hie im leben bin.

6 O Gott ich werd
Auff diser erd
Geplagt gar sehr,
Ach hilff mir HERR
von den, die mich
So hefftiglich
Bringen in pein,
Dann sie mir vil zu mechtig sein.

7 Mein seel für auß
Dem gfangenhauß,
Daß ich dir danck,
Mein leben lang,
Auff daß der fromm
Stedts zu mir komm,
Und dich auch lob,
Wann du wol thust mit deiner gab.

No comments: