07 September 2024

Gnad mir, O Gott, in dieser Noth

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Gnad mir, O Gott, in dieser Noth” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm LVII, Miserere mei Deus, with title “A supplication against the enemy, along with a song of praise.” The relatively straightforward Phrygian melody by Waldis follows the meter 44.447.44.447.447.4477.
I give the melody transposed down slightly.


 


 


O GOD, grant grace / in my distress!
I cry to Thee: / Lord, save Thou me
From all the foes that grieve me!
Beneath Thy wings / from wicked things
I refuge take / till Thou shalt make
Calamities to leave me.
To Thee I cry / in heaven high,
Until my grief be ended;
From wrath of foes / and from all woes,
Lord, send Thy succor splendid
And let my wounds be mended!

2 My soul is caught / in many a plot,
The sons of men / leap from their den
Like lions to o’erpow’r me,
All monstrous they, / in armed array,
With tongues perverse / my faith accurse,
Teeth sharpened to devour me.
Lord, show Thy praise, / Thy glory raise
High over earth and heaven,
Let them fall in / their traps of sin,
And be just payment given,
To ruin fin’lly driven.

3 My heart is fixed, / my heart is fixed;
O God, to Thee / I joyfully
Will for Thy Word sing praises;
When I awake, / I’ll gladly take
The psalt’ry sweet / and harp as meet
Thy lauds with tuneful phrases,
Thy mercies too / extol as due,
Who sa’vst from pains infernal;
On earth I’ll praise / Thy name always,
And spread Thy truth supernal
Now and for days eternal!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Gnad mir O Gott / in diser not,
Schrei ich zu dir, / ach HERR hilff mir,
Mich von der not entbinde,
Under deim schutz, / vor allem trutz
Ich mich enthalt / bis daß erkalt
Das unglück und verschwinde.
Inn himel hoch / schrei ich dir nach,
Biß sich mein jamer ende,
Ker ab die schmach, / der feinde rach,
Dein hülff mir abher sende,
Daß sich das unglück wende.

2 Mein elend seel / leidt grosse queel,
Die menschen kind / so grimmig sind,
Wie Löwen an mich setzen:
Gantz ungeheur, / gleichwie ein feur,
Ir zung stedts flucht / und ist verrucht,
Ir zeen sie auff mich wetzen,
HERR dich erheb, / daß dein ehr schweb,
Hoch uber himl und erden,
Ir netz und strick, die falsche tück,
Laß in zur fallen werden,
Zum unglück und beschwerden.

3 Mein hertz allzeit / ist auch bereyt,
Mein Got vor dir, / daß ich zur zir
Deins worts ein lied mög singen:
Wann ich erwach, / mich früh auffmach,
Psalter und harpff, / gestelt gar scharpff,
Sehr frölich mög erklingen,
Daß ich dein güt / mit freiem gmüt,
Mög rhümen undern leuten.
HERR dich erheb, / daß dein ehr schweb,
Dein warheyt zu verbreyten,
Jetz und zu allen zeiten.

No comments: