19 May 2023

Herr Gott, nun schleuß den Himmel auf”

 Here is my translation of the Purification / Dying hymn, “Herr Gott, nun schleuß den Himmel auf” (Tobias Kiel, d. 1627), ELGB #79, first appearing with setting for 5 voices by Michael Altenburg in his Christlicher, lieblicher und andechtiger, newer Kirchen und Hauß Gesänge (Erfurt, 1620), later in the Gotha Cantional 1646 (1651). Bach incorporates it into BWV 1092 and BWV 617. Since the translation by Catherine Winkworth does not quite follow the meter, but also omits some internal rhyme, I have undertaken a completely new translation. Several settings with melodies and variants often based on Altenburg’s exist. I include here a 4-part setting by Zahn.



LORD God, let heaven open wide,
My little day soon closes;
My course is run, I’m satisfied,
My soul in joy reposes;
Grief was I given,
And much have striven;
Now softly send
Rest without end!
Let earthly things be taken,
To bliss let me awaken!

2 Lord, as Thou hast commanded me,
I have embraced My Savior
In arms of faith, and look to Thee,
Who art my Hope forever.
I’ll stand securely;
To gladness surely
I soon shall go
From tears and woe.
Let earthly things be taken,
To bliss let me awaken!

3 Lord, let me go like Simeon
To Thee in peace and favor;
Commit my soul to Christ Thy Son,
Who will preserve me ever,
And guide me rightly
And crown me brightly
With glory’s ray;
I go my way!
Let earthly things be taken,
To bliss let me awaken!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

WINKWORTH 1868
Lord God, now open wide Thy heaven,
My parting hour is near;
My course is run, enough I've striven
Enough I've suffered here;
Weary and sad
My soul is glad
That she may lay her down to rest;
Now all on earth I can resign,
But only let Thy heaven be mine.

2 As Thou, Lord, hast commanded me,
Have I with perfect faith
Embraced my Saviour, and to Thee
I calmly look in death;
With willing heart
I hence depart,
I hope to stand before Thy face:
Yes, all on earth I can resign,
If but Thy heaven at last be mine.

3 Then let me go like Simeon
In peace with Thee to dwell,
For I commend me to Thy Son,
And He will guard me well,
And guide me straight
To the golden gate;
And in this hope I calmly die;
Yes, all on earth I can resign,
If but Thy heaven may now be mine.


GERMAN

Herr Gott! nun schleuß den Himmel auf,
mein Zeit zum End sich neiget;
ich hab vollendet meinen Lauf,
des sich mein Seel sehr freuet,
hab gnug gelitten,
mich müd gestritten,
schick mich fein zu zur ew'gen Ruh.
Las fahren, was auf Erden,
will lieber selig werden.

2 Wie Dir mir Herr befohlen hast,
hab ich mit wahrem Glauben,
mein lieben Heiland aufgefaßt
in mein Arm, Dich zu schauen.
Hoff zu bestehen, will frisch eingehen
ausm Thränenthal
in Freudensaal.
Laß fahren, was auf Erden,
will lieber selig werden.

3 Laß mich nur Herr, wie Simeon
in Frieden zu Dir fahren,
befehl mich Christo Deinem Sohn,
der wird mich wohl bewahren,
wird mich recht führen
im Himmel zieren
mit Ehr und Cron,
fahr drauf davon.
Laß fahren, was auf Erden,
will lieber selig werden.

No comments: