20 May 2023

Jesus ist mein Freudenlicht

Here is my translation of the Purification/Presentation hymn, “Jesus ist mein Freudenlicht” (Gottfried Arnold, d. 1714), from ELGB #82, originally appearing in Ein neuer Kern recht geistlicher lieblicher Lieder (Leipzig, 1703). The Buffalo hymnal indicates the melody as either “Jesu komm doch selbst zu mir” or “Nun komm der Heiden Heiland.”

 

 


JESUS is my gladd’ning Light
When His dawn in me is bright;
Jesus doth my soul restore
When it has its strength no more.

2 Jesus is my Champion strong,
When I face the devil’s throng,
And when sin would seem too great,
He makes all their boast abate.

3 Jesus is my Vict’ry safe
When the foe and Babel chafe;
He’s my mighty Shield and Sword
’Gainst the damned infernal horde.

4 Ah! My Jesus, let me be
Pledged forevermore to Thee.
Let me be to Thee alone
Bound in love, Thy very own.

5 Ye that would your Jesus meet,
Come, enjoy His banquet sweet,
Soul and spirit’s healing rare
Thee for vict’ry to prepare!

6 Jesus, my heart’s Victor be!
Thirsty is my soul for Thee;
Quell my foes forevermore,
Lest I ever lose the war!

7 Take me then with vict’ry decked
To the flock of Thine elect;
There, O Son of God, afford
Of Thy grace the great reward.

8 Rise, ye conqu’ring saints, and see,
Jesus comes forth lovingly,
For your little cross and woe
Crowns of glory to bestow.

9 Alleluia! Gloria!
Rise, the Lord’s Day is not far!
Watch and ready stand alway:
Now draws nigh the quick’ning-day.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Jesus ist mein Freuden-Licht,
wenn Er hell in mir anbricht,
meiner Seelen Ruhe-Statt,
wenn sie kein Kraft mehr hat.

2 Jesus ist mein starker Held,
wenn der Teufel mich anfällt,
und die Sünde groß sich macht,
ich ihr Trotzen ganz veracht.

3 Jesus ist mein fester Sieg,
wider Teufels Babels-Krieg; [wider Satans List und…]
Er ist meine starke Wehr,
wider das verdammte Heer.

4 Ach! mein Jesu, laß mich Dir
sein verpfändet für und für,
laß mich Armen Dir allein
in der Lieb ergeben sein.

5 Alle die ihr Jesum sucht,
kommt, genießet seine Frucht,
die den Geist und Seel' erquickt,
euch damit zum Siegen schickt.

6 Herzens-Jesu, Siegesfürst!
meine Seele nach Dir dürst;
alle Feind in mir besieg,
das ich nicht im Kampf erlieg.

7 Nach dem Siegen nimm mich auf
zu dem auserwählten Hauf,
da Du mir den Gnaden-Lohn
geben wirst o Gottes Sohn.

8 Auf ihr Überwinder! seht,
Jesus euch entgegen geht,
um für wenig Schmach und Hohn,
euch zu geb'n die Ehren-Cron.

9 Hallelujah! Gloria!
Auf, des Herren Tag ist nah,
wachet, haltet euch bereit,
jetzt kommt die Erquickungs-Zeit.

No comments: