08 February 2023

Ach, wenn ich dich, mein Gott, nur habe

Here is my translation of the hymn, “Ach, wenn ich dich, mein Gott, nur habe” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), on love for God, based on Psalm 73:25–26 (cf. “Lord, Thee I Love with All My Heart”), from Ev.-Luth. Gsb #497, with a variant first line, which perhaps explains the lack of ascription here. This variant is found perhaps first in the Hanover Gsb 1759, though with a 2nd variant in st. 2, l. 4, noted below. Other hymnals published in North America have the original form, though heavily revised throughout the rest, as seen from the German below, where the square brackets generally show the original form. It first appears in the author’s Heilige Flammen (Striegau, 1704) entitled “Divine Comfort of the Heart” (Herzenstrost in Luther, in the AV: “strength of heart”). A translation is listed in Julian, Hymnol., viz., “My God, if I possess but Thee” by Rev. Moultrie, 1870, which is not in the original meter, using three couplets 88.88.88. For my translation, I have followed the revised text (which departs mostly superficially from the original, i.e., for the sake of euphony) but offer some alternative lines where called for by the distinctness of the original. The appointed melody for Schmolck’s hymn is “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.”

 



MY God, oh, may I have Thee only,
Then heav’n and earth I reckon slight;
Thou only canst refresh me wholly,
My God, my Comfort and my Light.
The world may boast in vanity—
I know no comfort else but Thee.

2 Though this my flesh and soul be failing,
Yet boldly will I hope in Thee.
What are to me all ills assailing?
For Thou alone dost quicken me,
Though all creation ’gainst me rise,
I love Thee! There the matter lies.

3 With Thee alone I have whatever
The soul could ask for or desire,
With Thee, misfortunes frighten never,
Thy love o’ercomes all dangers dire:
Thou art my Portion, saith my heart,
My soul’s salvation, Lord, Thou art.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Mein Gott! ach wenn ich dich nur habe, [Ach, wenn ich dich, mein Gott,…]
frag ich nach Erd und Himmel nicht: [nach Erd und Himmel frag ich…]
dieweil ich mich an dir nur labe, [Nichts ist, was meine Seele…]
der du mein Gott, mein Trost und Licht. [also du…]
mein Herz, dem sonst kein Trost bewußt, [Rühmt sich die Welt mit ihrer Lust,]
sucht dich, und lacht der eitlen Lust. [ohn dich ist mir kein Trost bewußt.]

2 Sollt mir auch Leib und Seel verschmachten, [Soll Leib und Seele mir…]
so hoff ich doch getrost auf dich. [ich hoffe…]
Was werd ich alle Plagen achten? [nichts will ich alle Plage…]
denn du, mein Gott, erquickest mich, [an dir allein erquick ich…] Han. Gsb:[[denn bloß an dir…]
Erhebt sich Alles wider mich, [Regt sich auch…]
ich bleib an dir und liebe dich. [es bleibt darbei,…]

3 Hab ich nur dich, so hab ich Alles,
was meine Seele wünschen kann;
mit dir fürcht ich mich keines Falles: [auch fürcht ich mich gar…]
denn liebst du mich, was ficht mich an? [liebst du mich nur,…]
Ich glaub und weiß, du bist mein Theil, [Drum sprich mein Herz…]
mein Herzenstrost, der Seelen Heil. [in dir ist meiner…]

No comments: