15 February 2023

Warne Jesu, warne doch

Here is my translation of the Christian Life / Vigilance hymn, “Warne Jesu, warne doch” (Gottlieb August Astmann, d. 1745), from Ev.-Luth. Gsb #506, first appearing in the author’s Gesammelte undaufgehobene Glüende Andachts-Kohlen (Berlin, 1727), with the title “Warning voice  for the approaching judgment of the world.” The appointed melody is “Straf mich nicht in deinem Zorn.”

 



WARN me, Jesus, ’gainst the Day
Of great tribulation,
That while yet I live, I may
Make due preparation!
Let me be
Constantly
By Thy warnings shaken
Which repentance waken.

2 Thou wouldst not that I should die,
For Thou life dost treasure;
Let me from the judgment fly
And God’s dread displeasure;
Without Thy
Warnings, my
Spirit would be senseless
And be left defenseless!

3 Ah, how oft from Thee, O Lord,
I have help detected
By both Thy unfailing Word,
And ways unexpected!
All around
Voices sound
Which from judgment call me,
And to light enthrall me.

4 Let me not securely live
Nor by sleep be taken;
Glimmers from Thy Spirit give
When Thou wouldest beckon,
Till from threats,
Snares, and nets
I release am granted
And in Zion planted!

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Warne, Jesu, warne doch
vor den bösen Zeiten,
daß ich, weil ich lebe noch,
möge mich bereiten,
stelle mir
immer für
Buß und Warnungszeichen,
die mein herz erweichen.

2 Du willst mein Verderben nicht,
denn du liebst das Leben;
schütze mich vor dem Gericht,
das sich wird erheben;
warnst du nicht,
o mein Licht,
die zerstreuten Sinnen,
wie will ich entrinnen?

3 Doch wie hast du schon so oft
mir in meinem Leben
bald durchs Wort, bald unverhofft
treuen Rath gegeben!
Ueberall
ist der Schall,
der mich vom Gerichte
ruft zu deinem Lichte.

4 Laß mich nimmer sicher sein,
noch in Schlaf versinken,
gieb mir deines Geistes Schein,
wenn du pflegst zu winken:
bis ich gar
der Gefahr
und der Noth entgehe
und in Zion stehe.

No comments: