11 February 2023

Jesu, du allein

Here is my translation of the hymn, “Jesu, du allein” (Christoph Carl Ludwig von Pfeil, d. 1784), Ev.-Luth. Gsb #501, a hymn about the following of, or rather the being led by, Christ; also a prayer of repentance. It first appears in Evangelisches Gesangbuch bestehend in Psalmen und Lobgesängen . . . (Memmingen, 1782) with the title “Jesus my Leader, 1761.” The melody is “Seelenbräutigam.”

 



JESUS, none but Thee
Shall my leader be!
Thy true pathway to me showing,
Keep me on the narrow going,
For truth’s ground, O Lord,
Is Thy pledge and Word.

2 Yet, O Lord, impart
To my mind and heart
Constant fear and godly caution
Lest I lose the righteous motion;
Keep me by Thy fear
From all danger here.

3 Since Thou cam’st to men
To restore again
To the way the lost and erring,
Sheep that wandered homeward bearing,
Therefore I implore:
Also me restore!

4 Shepherd good and true,
I have wandered too
Like a sheep on earth so lowly;
Lead me to Thy haven holy,
Let me thither be
Led to live with Thee.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Jesu! du allein
sollst mein Führer sein,
zeige mir selbst deine Wege,
deiner Wahrheit schmale Stege;
deiner Wahrheit Grund
ist dein Wort und Bund.

2 Gründe, Herr! dabei,
stete Furcht und Scheu
in mir und in meiner Seelen
denen Weg nicht zu verfehlen;
deine Furcht bewahr
mich vor der Gefahr!

3 Weil du kommen bist,
was verirret ist
wiederum zurecht zu führen
und kein Schäflein zu verlieren,
darum fleht dein Knecht:
führe mich zurecht!

4 Guter, treuer Hirt!
ich bin ganz verirrt;
ein verloren Schaaf auf Erden,
führe mich zu deinen Heerden,
führe mich dahin,
wo ich bei dir bin.

No comments: