Here is my translation of the hymn, “Zu Jesu halt ich mich allein” (E. Neumeister, 1710), from the author’s Zugang zum Gnadenstuhl, first series, for Epiphany VI (i.e., Transfiguration). I present it here for the fixed observance on August 6.
Mel.: Vater unser im Himmelreich.
TO Jesus Christ alone I cleave,
Nor better know. All else I leave.
As He directs me, so I go;
I fear no storm or threat of woe.
The path goes by to pleasant rest,
On the glad heights of Tabor blest.
2 To Jesus Christ alone I cleave,
’Tis here man may all good receive.
All worldly glories pomp-arrayed
Beside it to oblivion fade
What hath the pow’r to bless my soul
I find in Him complete and whole.
3 To Jesus Christ alone I cleave;
My Savior nevermore will leave;
As here on earth faith builds its booth
And sees Him in His Word of truth,
So there I’ll see Him and His light,
From face to face in fairest sight.
4 Oh, come, thou joyful hour foretold,
When I that vision may behold
For which my wishful soul doth yearn
While year to fading year doth turn,
This be my watchword morn and eve:
To Jesus Christ alone I cleave!
Translation © 2026 Matthew Carver.
GERMAN
Zu Jesu halt ich mich allein.
Wo könnte mir doch besser sein?
Wie er mich führt, so folg ich ihm.
Mich schrecket da kein Ungestüm.
Der Weg geht doch zu süßer Ruh,
nach Thabors Freuden-Höhen zu.
2 Zu Jesu halt ich mich allein.
Hie, hie ist gut und selig sein!
die Welt mit aller Herrlichkeit
wird mir da zur Vergessenheit.
Was meine Seele segnen kann,
das treff ich bei ihm alles an.
3 Zu Jesu halt ich mich allein.
Bei ihm werd ich auch ewig sein.
Wie hier der Glaube Hütten baut,
und ihn in seinem Worte schaut:
so schau ich dort ihn und sein Licht
von Angesicht zu Angesicht.
4 O frohe Stunde! brich doch an,
da ich zu dem gelangen kann,
was meiner Seelen Wunsch begehrt.
Solang es aber hier noch währt
soll dennoch stets die Losung sein:
zu Jesu halt ich mich allein!

No comments:
Post a Comment