25 April 2024

Zu Mitternacht ward ein Geschrei

Here is my translation of the Last Things hymn, “Zu Mitternacht ward ein Geschrei” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), based on Matthew 25:1–13, in GGELB #524 with melody assignment “Wie schön leucht uns der Morgenstern.” Fischer omits it. I find it in the author’s collected works, Der lustige Sabbath in der Stille zu Zion (1715), no. 88, with title “The voice of the bridegroom and the bride” for the 27th Sunday after Trinity.

 


AT midnight there was heard a cry:
The Bridegroom now is drawing nigh!
O come ye out to meet Him!
Come, light your lamps and let them shine
And kindle them with faith divine,
To light the way and greet Him!
Run ye,
Buy ye
Faith’s sweet unction,
By which function
Lamps to aid you
To behold the Groom who made you.

2 O chosen Bridegroom, Lamb most dear,
The pleasures of Thy voice I hear.
Thou as Thy bride dost call me!
In faith Thou pledgest Thee to me,
And I Thy dearest bride shall be.
Oh, with Thy light enthrall me.
Mend me,
Tend me,
As a fire
Brighter, higher
To be burning;
Let all of my faith be learning!

3 Alas! already midnight comes,
And darkness reigns o’er many homes,
And faith lies dead or sickly;
The world sleeps in security
And thinks Thine advent shall not be,
Which cometh yet all quickly.
Many
Eyes by
Sin benighted,
Shall, unlighted,
Not awaken!
By surprise they shall be taken.

4 Oh, let me be among the five,
Who long for Thee, Lord, to arrive,
Their lamps all ready bearing!
Thy faith and love and hope pour down!
Thou art of light the fairest Crown,
The night to day ordaining.
Meet me,
Greet me,
Thy believer
Whose faith ever
Thee enfoldeth,
And in love’s devotion holdeth.

5 Ye foolish virgins, sleep away!
Ye would not buy while it was day,
That faith might now be shining.
Thus vainly knock ye at the door
When it shall opened be no more
And fruitless is your pining,
Crying,
Sighing,
Hope is ended,
Time expended,
Vain th’ endeavor;
Jesus will not know you ever.

6 But Thou, my Friend, know me, I pray!
When comes Thy blessed advent day,
Unlock to me the portal,
That I may to Thy wedding go
And in true wedding garments glow
With purity immortal.
Let me
Hold Thee
Then forever
Leave Thee never,
My Desiring!
I await with faith untiring!

7 Meanwhile let me remain awake.
Grant not the devil me to take,
In sin’s delusions straying;
Let me my flesh e’er crucify,
Nor with the foolish virgins lie,
In time of grace delaying.
Bridegroom!
Oh, come!
Quickly find us,
To Thee bind us
There in heaven
By a vow that never endeth.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Here.





No comments: