18 April 2024

Einen guten Kampf hab ich

 Here is my translation of the Death & Burial hymn, “Einen guten Kampf hab ich” (Heinrich Albert, d. 1651), on 2 Timothy 2:7–8, in GGELB #496 with melody assignment “Christus, der uns selig macht”; first appearing in the author’s Arien etlicher theils Geistlicher, etc., I (Königsberg, 1638) with title: “3. Non qui certamina segnes aspiciunt, sed qui pugnant meruere coronas [Not they that lazily look at the battles, but they that fight, do merit the crowns]: When my friend, Johann Ernst Adersbach, departed this world and fell asleep in God, the 1st day of November, 1632”; with a proper melody. Fischer notes 2 additional stanzas added by the Dresden Gsb 1731: 5. “Wie die Sonne wieder kommt . . .” 6. “Jesu laß mich solche Zeit . . .” And in the Osnabrück Cathedral Gsb 1733: “Morgen ist der liebe Tag . . .” Evidently both are attempts to explain more fully the closing lines. Albert’s music is available in a newer edition here.

 

I HAVE fought a goodly fight
And my course have finished;
Every trouble and affright
God in grace diminished,
That I might attain the end
Of eternal blessing,
And my soul to Christ ascend,
Heav’nly bliss possessing.

2 Henceforth there’s laid up for me
Where all joys receive me,
Righteousness’ bright crown, which He
Who is Judge, doth give me.
Henceforth I behold my Light
Whom I here believèd,
Yea, of God’s own face the sight
Hath my soul receivèd.

3 All this wicked world to me
Has no charm or splendor,
Void of pleasure utterly;
So I all surrender
To my Jesus, for me slain;
Thus I bliss inherit,
For His death is all my gain,
And His death my merit.

4 Now good night, my dearest friends!
Though I thus must leave you,
And a tear your cheek descends,
Let it not aggrieve you! [Let it not aggrieve you
Here mine eyes in slumber close [That I take this slumber blest
And this bed I borrow;
Lo, the sun now seeks repose, [Lo, the sun that goes to rest
Yet shall come the morrow!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Einen guten Kampf hab ich
auf der Welt gekämpfet;
denn Gott hat genädiglich
meine Noth gedämpfet,
daß ich meines Lebens Lauf
seliglich vollendet,
und die Seele himmelauf
Gott dem Herrn gesendet [Christo zugesendet.

2 Forthin ist mir beigelegt
der Gerechten Krone,
die mir wahre Freud erregt
in des Himmels Throne;
forthin meines Lebens Licht,
dem ich hier vertrauet,
nämlich Gottes Angesicht,
meine Seele schauet.

3 Dieser schnöden, bösen Welt [Diese gar verboste Welt
jämmerliches Leben [ist, was meinem Leben
mir nun länger nicht gefällt, [nunmehr gänzlich nicht gefällt;
drum ich mich ergeben
meinem Jesu, da ich bin,
jetzt in lauter Freuden;
denn sein Tod ist mein Gewinn,
mein Verdienst sein Leiden.

4 Gute Nacht, ihr meine Freund,
alle meine Lieben!
alle, die ihr um mich weint,
laßt euch nichts betrüben!
Diesen Abtritt, den ich thu [Hier thu ich die augen zu,
lin die Erde nieder! [leg ins Grab mich nieder;—
Schau! die Sonne geht zur Ruh,
kommt doch morgen wieder.



No comments: