17 April 2024

Freunde, stellt das Weinen ein

Here is my translation of the Death & Burial hymn, “Freunde, stellt das Weinen ein” (Gottfried Wilhelm Sacer, d. 1699), composed in the voice of the recently deceased. It is found in GGELB #495 with melody assignment “Jesus meine Zuversicht” and ascription to the Marburg Hymnal of 1781. The 1854 and 1866 eds. of that hymnal ascribe the text to Johann Heermann erroneously. Fischer’s lexicon omits the title. I find it earliest in Peter Sohr’s Musicalischer Vorschmack (1683) with melody assignment “Nicht so traurig, nicht so sehr” (presumably with splitting of final note in lines 2 and 4) as well as Sohr’s own music, and ascription to Gottfried Wilhelm Sacer; so also in Vollständiges Gesang-Buch [Hanover] (Rinteln, 1725), no. 740, with mel.: “Nicht so traurig” and ascription to Sacer. It is further included among Sacer’s hymns in Wetzel’s Hymnopoeographia III (1724), p. 6.


 




FRIENDS, your weeping put away;
Wipe your tears, ye tender-hearted!
Why should ye lament this day
That I have from you departed?
Let not grief your hearts possess!
I am freed from all distress.

2 When my body’s life expired,
Then were all my foes defeated!
While my soul to heav’n aspired,
Oft my flesh therewith competed;
Since my body now is gone,
Sweetest rest my soul hath won.

3 Out of prison now I fly,
Out of anguish, out of sorrow,
Till God calls me home on high
Out of earth some blissful morrow.
Why should ye of death complain,
Which hath only been my gain?

4 Say, what is that life I scorn?
Is it not a pathway really
That is never free from thorn?
Ye must all confess too freely
That I’m free from every plight.
So I bid you all good night.

5 Oh, what misery and pain
Yet must still be suff’ring daily,
Ye who on the earth remain!
Of what poor defense avail ye?
They but free from scathe are made
Who in graves are safely laid.

6 Am I dead? What is there more?
To the world I once did waken.
Now do ye lament so sore
That from you I have been taken?
All we to this world come in,
That we may depart again.

7 Yea, my Jesus, what is more,
Won for me salvation ever.
When I pass the earthen door
I will know corruption never.
By the Lord’s arising, I
Enter heaven’s gate thereby.

8 Look with cheerful countenance
As within the earth I’m buried;
For my spirit, mind, and sense
To my Savior have been carried,
Who my limbs shall new array
And rejoin to me some day.

9 Dies the Christian, dies his woe,
And with death his dying dieth.
Only gladness now I know,
Endless joy that time defieth.
O mortality, away!
For I now shall live for aye.

10 Friends, your weeping put away;
Wipe your tears, ye tender-hearted!
Why should ye lament this day
That I have from you departed?
Let not grief your hearts possess!
I am freed from all distress.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Freunde, stellt das weinen ein,
Wischt die thränen von den wangen,
Was soll doch das klagen sein,
Daß ich von euch weggegangen?
Trauret nicht um meinen tod,
ich bin frei von aller noth.

2 Da mein leib darnieder fiel,
Fiel auch mit mein feind darnieder,
Meiner seelen höchstem ziel
ware je meine fleisch zuwider;
Weil mein lieb nun weggeraft,
Ist ir süsse ruh geschaft.

3 Aus dem kerker geh ich aus,
Aus der angst und aus dem jammer,
Bis mich Gott ins himmels-haus
Ruft aus meiner erden-kammer.
Was klagt ihr den tod so an?
Der nichts arges mir gethan.

4 Sagt, was dieses leben sei?
Ist es nicht ein weg zu nennen,
Der von dornen niemals frei?
All müsset ihr bekennen,
Daß mein schwerer gang vollbracht,
Da ich gebe gute nacht.

5 Was für elend und für leid
Müßt ihr täglich noch erfahren,
Die ihr auf der erden seid?
Wie könnt ihr euch gnug verwahren?
Der nur bleibet unversehrt,
Der ins sichre grab gekehrt.

6 Bin ich tod? Was ist es mehr?
Ich bin auf die welt gekommen:
Klaget ihr dann nun so sehr,
Daß ich bin hinweg genommen?
Man kommt in der welt ihr haus,
Dazs man wider geh hinaus.

7 Ferner hat mein Jesus mir
Dort die seligkiet erworben,
Geh ich ein zur grabes-thür,
Ich bin dannoch unverdorben,
Durch des Herren auferstehn
Werd ich in den himmel gehn.

8 Seht mit munterm angesicht,
Wie ich werd ins grab gesenket,
Dann es ist mein leben nicht
Ewig von mir abgelenket:
Es soll mir in jener welt
Schöner werden zugestellt.

9 Stirbt ein christ, so stirbt sein leid,
Auch sein tod stirbt mit dem sterben,
Ich erwarte nun die freud,
Die ich ewig soll ererben;
Zeitlichkeit fahr immer hin,
Weil ich jetzt verewigt bin.

10 Freunde! stellt das weinen ein,
Wischt die thränen von den wangen,
Was soll doch das klagen sein,
Daß ich von euch weggegangen?
Trauret nicht um meinen tod,
Ich ben frei von aller noth.

No comments: