02 June 2023

O Jesu, Gottes Lämmelein

Here is my translation of the Passion/Death hymn, “O Jesu, Gottes Lämmelein” (asc. Martin Moller, d. 1606), in ELGB #113. Fischer says the hymn is found in Martin Moller’s art-of-dying book, Manuale de Præparatione ad mortem (Görlitz, 1596) among the 11 hymns which Moller describes as “made by other spiritual people.” Nevertheless, in hymnals it is ascribed almost universally to Moller, including in Crüger’s Praxis pietatis melica 1648. In Balthasar Schnurr’s Schöne, Christliche Andächtige Reimen Gebetlein (Strassburg, 1615), the hymn is marked: “J. Pollio ex V[eit] T[heodoricus],” i.e., Veit Dietrich. Two further stanzas are added in Vopelius’s Gsb 1682. The appointed melody is “O/Herr Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht.”

 


O JESUS, Lamb of God divine,
In life and death I’m ever Thine;
I pray Thee, let me, like to Thee,
An heir within Thy kingdom be.

2 What purpose had Thy mortal dread,
Thy many wounds and lashes red,
If I might not in bliss with Thee
Partake of them eternally?

3 Why shut away Thy life and limb,
And leave it in a cavern grim,
If by Thy death, O God my Stay,
My death should not be done away?

4 Therefore, O Jesus, be Thou nigh,
Sure help and comforts to supply;
Forsake me not, O Christ, my God,
For I am washed in Thy dear blood.

5 In peace grant me to fall asleep
And so my rest in Thee to keep;
Grant me to see Thy face, O Lord,
A blessed end to me afford.

6 I pray Thee by Thy bitter pain,
Let this my final wish remain,
And I will offer praise to Thee,
My God, for all eternity.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
O Jesu, Gottes Lämmelein:
ich leb odr sterb, so bin ich dein.
Ich bitt, laß mich mit dir zugleich
ein Erbe sein in deinem Reich.

2 Denn was war sonst dein Sterbensnoth,
so viel Striemen und Wunden roth:
wenn ich nicht in der Seligkeit
genießen solt die Ewigkeit?

3 Warum hast du dein Leib und Lebn
im Grab verschlossen und aufgebn:
wenn nicht mein Tod durch deinen Tod
verjagt soll werdn, du treuer Gott?

4 Darum, o Jesu, steh mir bei,
gewissen Trost und Hülf verleih;
verlaß den nicht, Herr Jesu Christ,
der mit deim Blut gewaschen ist.

5 Im Frieden laß mich schlafen ein,
und in dir haben Ruhe fein;
dein Antlitz laß mich sehen, Herr,
ein seligs Ende mir bescher.

6 Ich bitt durchs bittre Leiden dein;
laß das mein letztes Wünschen sein:
so will ich loben allezeit
dich, o mein Gott, in Ewigkeit.

No comments: