16 January 2024

Wohl mir, Jesu, du bist tot

 Here is my translation of the Passion (burial of Christ) hymn, “Wohl mir, Jesu, du bist tot” (Caspar Neumann, d. 1715), in GGELB #91 with melody assignment “Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier” and omission of stanza 6; first appearing in Vollständige Kirchen- und Haus-Music (Breslau, ca. 1700), ed. by Naumann, with cipher “C. N.,” included mostly in the Magdeburg hymnals, also Wittenberg and Cotbus.

 


BLEST am I, since Thou art dead,
Dearest Jesus, and entombèd; [Jesus, and art buried duly;]
Gone is all distress and dread,
Since my Savior hath assumèd [Since I have a Savior truly]
Who within a tomb was buried [Flesh and blood, and so was buried]
And my cause to vict’ry carried.

2 Since no tomb belongs to Thee,
Joseph’s tomb is only lent Thee;
Borrowed must Thy burial be,
Since for us the Father sent Thee,
To atone and die for others—
To redeem us as Thy brothers.

3 Stainless is that tomb of stone,
Where no other body lieth,
Since it is Thy pow’r alone
That all blessing us supplieth;
Pow’r to save from our transgression
Jesus, is Thy sole possession.

4 Nicodemus dresses Thee
With a weight of costly spices,
Yet corruption cannot be
Kept from me by such devices;
Only in Thy blood appointed
Can I rightly be anointed.

5 All our faults were plain as day,
Henceforth are they wholly hidden,
Thou my curse hast borne away
To the darkest depths forbidden;
Now God’s wrath away is carried
And with Thee, my Savior, buried.

*6 Closed Thine eyes and still Thy breath,
Yet in truth they only slumber;
Full of peace is this Thy death,
Nor shall grief my own encumber,
For like those of old, here sleeping,
I shall be my Sabbath keeping.

7 Mighty Champion, sleep Thou well,
For Thy foes are overpowered!
Though laid low by death and hell,
Thou hast wholly them devoured,
Thereby this assurance giving
That we also shall be living.

8 Therefore, Lord, my thanks to Thee!
I will trust Thy death and merit
And in my last agony
Fold Thee fast in heart and spirit,
So whatever tomb shall hide me,
I will have Thee there beside me.

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN

Wohl mir, Jesu! du bist tot,
denn man träget dich zu Grabe,
nunmehr hat es keine Noth,
weil ich einen Heiland habe,
der auch bis zum Grabe kommen,
und sich meiner angenommen.

2 Dieses Grab ist zwar nich dein,
Joseph hat dirs nur gelehnet,
doch es muß geborget sein,
wo man fremdde Schuld versöhnet.
Du hast andern Guts erworben,
und bist nicht für dich gestorben.

3 Drum ist auch der Ort so rein,
daß noch niemand da gelegen.
Denn aus deiner Kraft allein
kommet aller Menschen Segen,
und die Rettung von der Sünden
ist bei andern nicht zu finden.

4 Nicodemus salbet dich
mit viel guten Spezereien;
aber diese können mich
von Verwesung nicht befreien;
nur im Blute deiner Wunden
hab ich meine Salbung funden.

5 Unsre Fehler waren bloß,
nunmehr sind sie ganz bedecket,
in der Erde finstern Schoß
hast du meinen Fluch verstecket;
Gottes Zorn ist aufgehaben
und mit dir zugleich begraben.

*6 Mund und Augen hast du zu,
doch sie liegen nur im Schlafe;
dieser Tod ist voller Ruh,
und auch meiner ohne Strafe,
denn ich werde mit den alten
in der Erde Sabbath halten.

7 Schlafe wohl, du großer Held!
Deine Feinde sind bezwungen.
Dich hat wohl der Tod gefällt,
aber du hast ihn verschlungen,
und das kann mir Hoffnung geben,
daß wir alle werden leben.

8 Derowegen habe Dank!
Ich will mich darauf verlassen
und zuletzte sterbenskrank
dich in Herz und Seele fassen;
damit werd ich auch begraben,
meinen Jesum bei mir haben.

No comments: