11 January 2024

Opfer für die ganze Welt

Here is my translation of the Purification/Presentation hymn, “Opfer für die ganze Welt” (Benjamin Schmolck, d. 1737), in GGELB #61 with melody assignment “Jesus meine Zuversicht,” first in the author’s collection, Der lustige Sabbath (Jauer, 1712) with title “A God-pleasing presentation of the heart,” based on Luke 2:22–32, with melody assignment “Meinen Jesum laß ich nicht.”

 


OFF’RING made for all mankind!
At Thine entry to Thy temple,
We in Thee presented find
Our most laudable example,
How we may from infancy
To the Father offered be.

2 Thy dear Mother, purified
As in ancient Law directed,
As it were bids us abide
To Thy Ten Commands subjected,
And with joy at Thy command
Faithful in Thy temple stand.

3 O Thou purest Fountain, cleanse
All the stains of my transgression;
Let Thy robe of innocence
Clothe my shameful indiscretion;
Let Thy merits incense be
To remove the curse from me!

4 Since Thou didst all freely deign
To assume this yoke oppressing,
When, without all sin or stain,
Thou didst come, our ills addressing,
Oh, present Thee to fulfill,
E’en for me, God’s holy will!

5 Let my off’ring as a dove
Be devoid of bitter savor;
Let it pair true faith and love;
Grant my humble gifts Thy favor.
If this turtledove complain,
Make me patient in my pain.

6 I will Simeon’s deed repeat,
To my faithful heart will press Thee.
Quicken me, dear Mercy-seat;
For Thy help and hope I’ll bless Thee,
Comfort Thou of Israel,
Sweetest Lord, Immanuel!

7 Light to darkling eyes allot
When they close and death encroaches;
Oh, my Savior, leave me not
When my time to leave approaches,
Thou Thy people glorious Prize
And the Way to paradise!

8 Let this then my swan-song be:
Lord, let me in peace be going!
Grant my eyes to look on Thee
’Mongst th’ elect, Thy glory knowing,
Where in yonder world of light
Candlemas is held aright!”

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Opfer für die ganze Welt,
du kommst heut in deinen Tempel,
daß du würdest vorgestellt
uns zu löblichem Exempel,
wie man sich von Jugend an,
deinem Vater opfern kann.

2 Deiner Mutter Reinigung,
im Gesetze vorgeschrieben,
gibt uns die Erinnerung,
dein Gebot getreu zu lieben,
und den Weg mit Lust zu gehn,
der uns heißt im Tempel stehn.

3 O du Brunn der Reinigkeit!
Nimm von mir die Sündenflecken
und laß deiner Unschuld Kleid,
meine Blöße ganz bedecken.
Dein Verdienst mein Wohlgeruch [Deines Opfers…]
wider des Gesetzes Fluch [tilge…]

4 Hast du dieses schwere Joch
willig über dich genommen,
da du ohne Sünde doch,
warest in die Welt gekommen,
ach, so stelle, Jesu, dich
zur Erfüllung auch für mich.

5 Laß mein Opfer Tauben-Art,
ohne Galle, an sich haben, [reine Unschuld…]
glaub und Liebe sei gepaart,
nimm vorlieb mit meinen Gaben [nimm aus Huld die schlechten…].
Girrt das Turtel-Täubelein [von der armen Seele an,
gieb Geduld in meiner Pein. [die nichts bessers bringen kann.

6 Ich will dich wie Simeon
an mein treues Herze drücken.
Du wirst, als mein Gnadenthron,
mich mit Rath und Trost erquicken.
Du bist der Trost Israel,
süßester Immanuel.

7 Sei der müden Augen Licht,
wenn der Tod sie will verschließen.
O, mein Heiland, laß mich nicht,
wenn ich werde sterben müssen.
Du bist deines Volkes Preis
und der Weg zum Paradeis.

8 Dieses sei mein Schwanenlied:
Herr, laß mich in Frieden fahren.
Gib, daß dich mein Auge sieht
bei den auserwählten Scharen,
wo man dort in jener Welt,
erst das rechte Lichtfest hält.

No comments: