29 February 2024

Wie heilig doch ist dieser Ort

 Here is my translation of the Communion hymn, “Wie heilig doch ist dieser Ort” (Valentin Ernst Löscher, d. 1749), in GGELB #297 with melody assignment “Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr” and omitting stanzas 6–8 (sanctification section). There is no entry in Fischer’s lexicon. I find an early instance in Hessen-Hamburg Gsb 1734, and revised in Hanover 1740 as noted in square brackets. The more substantial revision, beginning “Wie heilig ist die Stätte hier, / wo ich mit Ehrfucht stehe,” is found more frequently now. An English rendering by Mrs. Rachel Mumme of the later version in 7 stanzas is available from CPH under the title “How Holy Is This Dwelling Place.”

 


HOW truly holy is this place
Where I this hour am standing!
Is this the gate of heav’nly grace
Before my eyes expanding?
The Table of the Lord is here!
To heaven’s gate I now draw near,
And kneel in faith before it.

2 How truly holy is this Meat [food]
Which here my spirit vieweth,
Which in a manner yet discreet [unviewed]
My soul with life imbueth!
O heav’nly Meat! O heav’nly Bread! […food! O…]
O heav’nly Manna to me fed
By God here at the altar!

3 How truly holy is this Drink
Which I am here receiving!
What grateful thoughts we all must think
Who come for our relieving!
O soul’s refreshment! Holy Blood!
Thou of my soul the highest Good!
I hither come to take thee.

4 O holy Food! with rev’rent heart
O piece of thee I borrow;
O holy Drink! new life impart
And quench my every sorrow!
What pleasure doth this Supper give,
Since in my Jesus I shall live,
And find in Him all gladness!

5 To what great honor I am brought!
With God I am united.
God comes to me—O blessèd thought!
My heart is now delighted,
For Jesus comes to stay with me,
And will my souls dear Bridegroom be,
Himself to me betrothing!

6 Oh, for holy heart and mind,
In purity excelling,
That, Jesus, coming in, might find
a pure and spotless dwelling!
Oh, for a heart so free of stain
Where such a Prize I might retain
And treasure there forever!

7 But where such holiness in me
Which Thee alone delighteth,
Is lacking, yet Thy sanctity
All wrongs within me righteth;
O dearest Jesus! hallow me,
Lest I receive unworthily
This Sacrament so holy.

8 My heart and spirit sanctify
To be Thy constant dwelling,
From thence with power from on high
All sin and shame dispelling;
Oh, make as Thou wouldst today,
That so Thy glorious image may
Shine constantly with in me.

9 Thanks be to God! Who graciosly
My heart and soul refreshes!
All praise to Him, who gives to me
Himself, the prize most precious;
O grant me, God, from day to day
While here I live, and yet for aye
To be with Thee united!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Wie heilig ist doch dieser Ort,
da ich anjetzo stehe!
Ist dieses nicht die Himmelspfort, […Lebenspfort]
die ich hier offen sehe?
O Tisch des Herrn! O Himmelsthür! […thor]
für welche ich nun trett herfür, [Ich trete jetzt erfreut davor,]
und daselbst nieder kniee. [und kniee gläubig nieder.]

2 Wie heilig ist doch diese Speis, […ist dies Lebensbrot]
die hier mein Geist erblicket, [das…]
die jetzo auf geheime Weis [das meine Seel nacht Angst und Noth]
nur meine Seel erquicket! [geheimnisvoll…]
O Himmelsspeis! O Himmselsbrot! [O süße Speis!…]
O himmlisch Manna, das da Gott [O Lebens-Manna! das mir…]
am Altar mir darreichet! [an seinem Altar reichet.]

3 Wie heilig ist doch dieser Trank,
den ich hier soll empfahen, [ich allhier empfahe]
zu welchem ja mit Lob und Dank [zu dem ich mich…]
ein jeder sich soll nahen! [im Glauben freudig nahe]
O Seelentrank! O heiligs Blut!
Du meiner Seelen höchstes Gut!
hier komm ich dich zu nehmen.

4 O heilge Speis! ich nehme dich [So nehm ich, heilge Speise, dich]
mit andachtsvollem Herzen;
o heilger Trank, erlabe mich […erquicke mich]
und stille meine Schmerzen;
O! wie ist mir anjetzt so wohl, [Wie wird und ist mir doch…]
da ich in Jesu leben soll,
und mich in ihm erfreuen!

5 Dies ist ja eine große Ehr, [O welch ein Ruhm und Glück für mich!]
ich bin mit Gott verbunden,
wie selig ist doch die Einkehr, [Er kömmt zu mir; und so hab ich]
die mein Herz hat empfunden; [mein ewig Heil gefunden.]
mein Jesus kehrt selbst bei mir ein,
will meiner Seelen Bräutgam sein,
und sich mit mir vermählen.

6 Ach! möchte doch ganz heilig sein
mein Herze, Geist und Hände! [Wär mein Herz ohne Sünde!]
Damit wann Jesus gehet ein,
er rein die Wohnung fände; […reine Wohung fünde.]
ach! wär mein Herz der reinste Ort,
wo dieses Kleinod fort und fort
könnt aufgehoben werden!

7 Nun was an wahrer Heiligkeit, [Doch fehlt mir die Vollkommenheit]
die dich allein ergötzet,
was mangelt an der Reinigkeit, [So wird doch Christi Heiligkeit]
das wird durch dich ersetzet; [doch alles reich…]
o liebster Jesu! heilge mich, [Drum, Heiland! komm und reinge…]
daß ich empfange würdiglich [damit ich durch dich…]
dies heilig Sakramente. [dies Sakrament empfange.]

8 O heilige mein Herz und Geist, [Komm, heilge mich, daß…]
daß sie dein Wohnung bleiben, [dein Wohnhaus ewig…]
ja was noch Sünd und Unart heißt, [Was sich noch sündlich an mir weist,]
das wollest du vertreiben; [kannst du allein…]
bereite mich so wie du willt,
daß in mir nun dein herrlich Bild, [und laß dein heilig Ebenbild]
beständig hervor leuchte. […an mir leuchten.]

9 Nun Gott sei Dank! der da hat heut […des Gütigkeit]
mein Herz und Seel erlabet; [mich heute so gelabet.]
Gott Lob und Dank! der mich erfreut, [Gepriesen sei,…]
und mich sowohl begabet; [und selbst mit sich…]
ach Gott! laß mich nun allezeit, [Nun Höchster! laß mich…]
von nun an bis in Ewigkeit
mit dir vereinigt bleiben.


No comments: