20 July 2026

Ich lasse meinen Gott nur walten

Here is my translation of the hymn, “Ich lasse meinen Gott nur walten” (E. Neumeister, 1710), from the author’s Zugang zum Gnadenstuhl, second seriers, for Trinity VII, a minimalist pastiche of “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten,” in which Neumark’s last word in the first line of each stanza is purposefully and artfully retained (as is that of Sillig’s first line in st. 8). I have loosely followed this pattern with attention to my previous renderings of his pastiches of this favorite hymn.


Mel.: Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten.



I LEAVE my God alone to guide me,

He hath a heart that mercy shows.

He hath my needs from youth supplied me

And truly never want He knows.

Therefore I shall need nothing more

To live, with His abundant store.


2 I let no anxious cares assail me,

But leave them to His loving hands.

’Twill for a blessed morn avail me,

And when the evening shades the lands,

His watchful guard and His wakeful sight

Will bring to me a blessed night.


3 My hope in Him I place, nor waver,

He knows in all the way most blest,

Though it be not the way I favor,

Nor as I think woud prosper best,

It is as God would have it be,

And what He would, contenteth me.


4 Those only are true times of gladness,

Which God for grace and blessing chose.

He is not bound to flesh’s madness,

Which would for Him the time propose

All things He ends and settles thus:

How, when, and where ’tis blest for us.


5 Though I by many_a fiery trial

And cross and sorrow stricken be,

I shall be gaining all the while,

For he who beareth patiently

Is quickened by rich comfort, when

God other tempests sends to men.


6 Here all is but a blessed matter:

Our good is ever sought by God,

Who would make us His children better,

And therefore spareth not the rod,

And though His chast’ning brings us grief,

His kiss will bring the more relief.


7 Therefore but take God’s way unswerving,

And cleave but to His hand divine;

Then blessings all (though none deserving)

Shall from His store at last be thine.

He leads in curious ways, ’tis true,

But courage—they are blessed, too.


8 Oh, then, my God, I’ll trust securely—

I’ll trust and firmly build on Thee!

Thy Word, which I believe most surely,

To which I look, doth strengthen me

In this assurance Thou hast taught:

My Lord and God forsakes me not!


Translation © 2026 Matthew Carver.


GERMAN

Ich lasse meinen Gott nur walten.

Er hat ein Herz, das sich erbarmt.

Der mich von Kindheit an erhalten,

ist wahrlich auch noch nicht verarmt,

daß nun für mich kein Vorrath mehr

zum Unterhalt vonnöthen wär.


2 Ich pplage mich mit keinen Sorgen.

Sie mögen ihm befohlen sein.

Das macht mir einen guten Morgen;

und bricht der Abend dann herein,

so bringt mir seine Hut und Wacht

auch wieder eine gute Nacht.


3 Ihm halt ich in der Hoffnung stille.

Er weiß zu allen Sachen Rath.

Gehts so nicht, wies mein Wunsch und Wille

zum Wohlergehn ersonnen hat;

Gehts doch, wies Gottes Wille fügt;

und was er fügt, mach mich vergnügt.


4 Das nur sind rechte Freudenstunden

die Gottes Güt und Segen macht.

Er ist an keine Zeit gebunden,

die Fleisch und Blut sich ausgedacht.

Er endet alles und beschließt,

wie, wo und wenns uns selig ist.


5 Ob mich auch manche Drangsalhitze,

im Kreuz und Leiden überfällt:

so ist mir das auch gut und nütze.

Denn wer geduldig stille hält,

der wird durch reichen Trost erquickt,

wenn Gott nun ander Wetter schickt.


6 Das sind ja lauter gute Sachen:

Gott, welcher unser Bestes sucht,

will uns zu frommen Kindern machen.

Darum gebraucht er Ruth und Zucht.

Und schläget er auch noch so sehr,

so küsset er auch desto mehr.


7 Drum gehe nur auf Gottes Wegen.

Halt dich an seine Vaterhand.

So wird dir endlich aller Segen

aus seiner Fülle zugewandt.

Er führt, da sei nur wohl gemuth,

zwar wunderlich, jedennoch gut.


8 Ei nun, mein Gott, ich bau und traue,

ich trau und baue fest auf dich.

Dein Wort, worauf ich gläubig schaue,

befestiget und stärket mich

in dieser Herzens Zuversicht:

mein lieber Gott verläßt mich nicht!

No comments: