09 October 2024

Daß man fromm redlich Hausgesind

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase “Daß man fromm redlich Hausgesind” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CI, Misericordiam et judicium, with title “Psalm of instruction concerning godly, honest householding.” The Aeolian melody by Waldis follows the meter 847.847.84.77 (AABCCBDDEE). Heugel’s Tenor line shows some rhythmic alteration and ornamentation.

 


 

THAT servants which are found with me
May upright be,
May God bestow His blessing!
That mercy, peace, and justice may
Not fade away—
In song this theme addressing,
I will be faithful, good, and true,
And fearless too,
Lest those belonging to me
Rise up as to undo me.

2 No evil, which good men abhor,
Shall pass my door;
I hate the vile transgressor.
The wicked and perverted heart
I bid depart,
The sland’rer and disgracer.
From house and home I’ll not forestall
To cast them all,
With every proud offender,
Who will to none surrender.

3 I look about me day and night
For souls upright,
That they may near be dwelling;
Good, honest servants do I love.
But thieves reprove,
All liars far dispelling.
I crush th’ ungodly in the land,
With fearless hand,
Who shows God’s Word no favor
Must be cut of foever.

¶ Lord, by Thy Spirit’s comfort Thou
Didst me endow
With this great grace from heaven,
And by Thy Holy Word didst all
The nations call,
To keep what there is given.
I therefore give Thee thanks and praise,
And seek always
Thy Word to keep and cherish,
That I may never perish!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Daß man fromm redlich Haußgesind,
Stedts bei mir findt,
Mein sach Gott leßt gelingen,
Daß billigkeyt, frid, gnad und recht,
Nicht werd geschwecht,
Davon wil ich jetz singen,
Daß ich thu redlichkeyt und trew,
On alle schew,
Daß die mir zugehören,
Sich nit widr mich entpören.

2 Ich nem keyn böse sachen für
Für meiner thür,
Ich haß die ubertretter,
Die bösen und verkerten hertz
Wend ich hinwertz,
Verleumbder und verräther
Vertreib ich all auß meinem hauß,
Sie müssen hnauß,
Die hoffertigen gsellen,
Die niemandts weichen wöllen.

3 Ich seh mich stedts nach denen umb,
Die trew und frumm,
Die laß ich bei mir wonen,
Die frommen diener hab ich lieb,
Falsch, lügner, dieb,
Der thu ich keyns verschonen,
Vertilg die Gottlosen im land
Mit meiner hand,
Und wer Gotts wort verspottet,
Muß werden außgerottet.

¶ Für solche gnad die du mir hast,
Durchs geystes trost,
In diser welt gegeben,
Und daß du hast dein heylge wort,
An allem ort,
Befohln darnach zu leben,
Sag ich dir Ewig preiß und lob,
Und halten drob,
Im leben und im sterben,
Drumb kan ich nit verderben.

No comments: