02 October 2024

Herr, wann mein Herz recht überdenkt

Here is my translation of the psalm paraphrase, “Herr, wann mein Herz recht überdenkt” (Burkard Waldis, d. 1556), based on Psalm CXXXI, Domine non est, with title “A lesson that we may look only to God’s Word, wait for His help, and not build on our own godliness.” The Ionian melody by Waldis follows the Luther hymn meter, 87.87.887, and is one of the rare instances of a repetition, being used earlier in the psalter for his High-Germanification of Knöpken’s Psalm 25, “An allen Menschen gar verzagt,” though in this instance the ending seems slightly improved (here again, Zahn interprets the slurs differently). Knöpken’s psalm was first published in the appendix to Waldis’s Der Verlorene Sohn. — Heugel’s Tenor line is among those missing from his partbook (Psalms 131–144), for which, however, the other parts are extant. The Wolfenbüttel MS of Waldis’ Psalter has in the margin the handwritten note: “In the melody, ‘Nun freuet euch, lieben Christen gmein.’” And at the bottom of the page: “It can also be sung to the melody, ‘Es ist das Heil uns kommen her.’”

 



LORD, when my heart doth well bethink
My wretched, sinful living,
Wherein I utterly did sink,
I’m filled with deep misgiving;
I cannot rise, my eyes must fall,
I count my works as worthless all,
Of my own self despairing.

2 When I considered all my pow’r,
Appraised my gifts excelling,
Recalled my good deeds hour to hour,
My heart with pride was swelling,
Yet did my mind in doubt abide,
And could not in Thyself confide,
With anguish was I broken.

3 When I did not my soul possess
On grace for its foundation,
It was aggrieved with restlessness,
Wracked by sin’s condemnation.
When was I as a weanèd child,
That longeth for its mother mild,
And suffers none to hush it.

4 Therefore I counsel Israel:
Hope in the Lord God solely.
He will assist, and need dispel;
He giveth to the lowly.
His goodness, grace, and mercy free
Both now and for eternity
To all He will be showing.

¶ To God the Father glory be,
Who founded earth and heaven,
Made sun and moon and stars to be,
And hath us knowledge given
Of His kind will through Christ His Son;
May He sustain what Christ hath won
In us by His good Spirit!

Translation © 2024 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
Herr wann mein hertz recht uberdenckt,
Mein ellend sündtlich leben,
Darinn ich gantz und gar versenckt,
Kan ich mich nicht erheben,
Ich ker mein augen zu der erd,
Es ist mit all meim thun nichts werdt,
Mus an mir selbst verzagen.

2 Da ich gedacht an meine macht,
Und rümpt mich grosser gaben,
Und all mein gute werck betracht,
Ward mein gemüt erhaben,
Doch bleib mein hertz in zweifel stan,
Und kundt sich nicht auff dich verlan,
Für angst wards gar zerschlagen.

3 Dann da ich meine seel nicht setzt
Auff deine gnad zu gründen,
Da wards mit unruw gar verletzt,
Erschreckt für straff der sünden.
Da ward ich wie ein kind entwehnt,
Das sich nach seiner mutter sehnt,
Und leßt sich niemandt schweygen.

4 Drumb rath ich, daß ich Israel,
Auff Gott alleyn verlassen,
Gar reichlich Er uns helffen wil,
Sein handt ist nicht geschlossen.
Sein gütt, gnad und barmhertzigkeyt,
Wert von end biß zu Ewigkeyt,
Wil Er uns alln erzeygen.

¶ Lob dem Vatter in Ewigkeyt,
Der himl und erd gegründet,
Mit Sonn, Mon, Stern den himel kleydt,
Seinn willn uns hat verkündet,
Durch Christum seinen Son auff erdt,
Daran durch seinen geyst so werdt
Uns Ewig wöll erhalten.

No comments: