07 December 2023

Mein Gott, du weißt am allerbesten

Here is my translation of the trust hymn, “Mein Gott, du weißt am allerbesten” (Israel Clauder, d. 1721), in NEGB #200 with melody assignment “Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten” and omitting stanzas 6–13. It first appears in 13 stanzas, according to Fischer, in Darmstadt 1699, and the same year in Rambach’s Anthology, IV, p. 99, with the note “The hymn, the only to have come to light under the author’s name, he composed during a severe storm on the Baltic when he was traveling with Dr. Spener’s middle son to Livonia in August of 1696.” It was disseminated largely through inclusion in Freylinghausen’s gsb, thence Crüger’s Praxis 1712, etc. Pertinent for our purpose its the inclusion of the full hymn in the Pennsylvania Ministerium’s influential Erbauliche Liedersammlung . . . N. America (1786ff.).

 


MY God, Thou knowest more than any
What for my profit shall avail;
Away with man’s defenses many!
All self-made confidence must fail.
Lord, let me build alone on Thee
And trust Thee only, utterly.

2 Oh, let my soul of all be ridden
That would not know Thee nor adore!
Yea, would aught still be deftly hidden,
Conduct Thy searches more and more;
The inner nature keenly see,
And give my heart true honesty.

3 Let me in truth say: My Salvation,
My Light, my Father dear Thou art!
Thou heal’st my faults and
And givest me in Christ a part.
Thou art my dearest, truest Friend,
Who lov’st me ever till the end.

4 For if I may but call Thee Father,
O Depth of mercy without bound!
Then what men call a cross and bother
Must to my greater good redound.
For sweet is every bitter part
If Thou, O God, be in the heart.

5 Grant childlike faith and unabating;
Let me alert and hopeful be,
Yet humbly that appropriating
Which Holy Scripture pledges me.
Thy Spirit on my heart impress
Thy great paternal faithfulness.

6 O highest, uncreated Being,
Before the world Thou knewest me;
Before I was, beyond man’s seeing,
Love’s resolution lived in Thee:
That I in Christ should Thine remain,
Set free from hell’s eternal pain.

7 Thy Child, my Jesus, hath completed
What Thou didst ere the world decide,
All guilt and punishment deleted
And made me blest and justified;
Thy Spirit makes this known to me
And is its Pledge and Guarantee.

8 I stagger when my spirit ponders,
O Lord, Thy proven truth and pow’r,
How Thou hast led me with such wonders
Throughout my days until this hour;
Yea, there in endless day with Thee
The best is yet prepared for me!

9 Thus, Lord, before Thy feet prostrated,
I pray Thee, Good all goods above!
Let me, as wax be liquidated
Within these embers of Thy love.
Oh, grant true faithfulness in turn
To Thee within my soul to burn.

10 Since in so many ways, O Father,
I am Thy own to rule and claim,
Grant that I may o’er every other
Bring praise and glory to Thy name
By serving Thee in sanctity
And righteousness, which pleases Thee.

11 Thou the Beginning and the Ending
In words and works and wisdom art;
In all things therefore close attending,
Thy Father-hand in grace impart!
For here counts not man’s pow’r to run;
All is but by Thy mercy done.

12 If Thou impose some burden, aid me,
Give patience in the time of grief;
In better days and worse, persuade me
Of Thy support and glad relief;
Love’s humble, simple virtues grant,
Whate’er is false and proud, supplant.

13 Amen, Amen! So be it ever!
And let the Holy Spirit’s pow’r
Be poured upon me, ceasing never,
Which bringeth every good to flow’r.
So let it stand as truth divine,
That Thou art mine and I am Thine.

Translation © 2023 Matthew Carver.

GERMAN
1 Mein Gott, du weißt am allerbesten
das was mir gut und nützlich sei,
hinweg mit allen Menschenfesten,
weg mit dem eigenen Gebäu.
Gib, Herr, daß ich auf dich nur bau,
und dir alleine ganz vertrau.

2 Reiß alles aus, aus meiner Seelen,
was dich nicht sucht und dine Ehr,
ja, wolte sich auch was verhehlen,
so prüfe selbst je mehr und mehr
die innere Beschaffenheit,
und gib mir Herzens-Redlichkeit.

3 Daß ich könn in der Wahrheit sprechen:
du bist mein Abba, Licht und Heil;
du heilest alle mein Gebrechen,
und schenkest mir an Christo Theil,
du bist mein allerbester Freund,
ders allzeit herzlich mit mir meint.

4 Denn, kann ich dich nur Vater nenne,
O Abgrund der Barmherzigkeit,
so muß mir alles nützen können,
was man sonst heißet Kreuz und Leid:
denn auch das Bittre süsse ist,
wann du, o Gott, im Herzen bist.

5 Drum gib, daß ich recht kindlich gläube,
und nur sein frisch und unverzagt,
jedoch in Demuth mir zuschreibe,
was dein so heiligs Wort mir sagt.
Dein Geist erkläre meinem Geist,
was deine Vatertreue heißt.

6 Du unerschaffnes höchstes Wesen,
hast vor der Welt an mich gedacht,
und da ich gar noch nicht gewesen,
den liebesvollen Schluß gemacht:
daß ich in Christo dein soll sein,
und frei von aller Höllenpein.

7 Dein Kind, mein Jesus, hat vollendet,
was du beschlossen vor der Zeit,
hat Schuld und Strafen abgewendet,
und mir geschenkt die Seligkeit.
Dein Geist, der mir dies macht bekant,
ist alles dessen Unterpfand.

8 Ich weiß nicht, was ich sonst soll sagen,
von deiner Treu, die ich verspürt,
daß du mich hast in meinen Tagen
bis hieher wunderbar geführt.
Ja, dort bei dir in Ewigkeit
ist mir das Beste noch bereit.

9 Nun, Herr, ich falle dir zu Füssen,
und Hirt, o aller höchstes Gut;
laß mich, wie Wachs doch ganz zerfliessen
in dieser deiner Liebesglut,
ach! gib, daß deine Gegentreu
doch stets in meiner Seelen sei.

10 Und weil ich auf so viele Weise,
mein Vater, bin dein Eigenthum,
so gib, daß ich auch dir zum Preise
und deines großen Namens Ruhm
stets diene in Gerechtigkeit
und dir beliebter Heiligkeit.

11 Du mußt das Gute selbst vollbringen,
in Worten, Werken und Verstand;
drum reiche mir in allen Dingen
aus Gnaden deine Vaterhand,
denn hier gilt nicht, wer rennen kan,
bloß kommts auf dein Erbarmen an.

12 Legst du was auf, So hilfs auch tragen,
gib nur Geduld in Leidenszeit,
und sei in gut und bösen Tagen
mein Trost, mein Rath und meine Freud,
gib Demuth, Einfalt, Lieb und Zucht;
was Falsch und hoch ist, sei verflucht.

13 Nun, Amen! es sei fest beschlossen,
nur daß des heilgen Geistes Kraft
bleib über mir stets ausgegossen,
als welche alles Gute schafft:
so bleibes in Ewigkeit dabei,
daß du mein und ich deine sei.

No comments: